The M-80 isn’t a “state of the art” headphone by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a very, very good one that brings you the essentials of the music in convincing way—even on acknowledged audiophile classics such as Kind of Blue.
Consider this headphone if:
• You like finely crafted headphones that combine—in roughly equal parts—high style, solid technology, and good old-fashioned ruggedness.
• You want one of the more revealing and better-balanced (i.e., more neutrally balanced) on-ear headphones we’ve tried thus far.
• You favor the go-anywhere compactness of an on-ear headphone in contrast to the relative bulk of over-the-ear designs.
• You value the convenience of having multiple headset cables that can make the M-80 compatible both with iDevices and Android/Blackberry/Windows 7 smartphones.
• You like the idea of a headphone that A) doesn’t need batteries, and B) also doesn’t require an outboard headphone amp.
Look further if:
• You want to stretch out to reach toward top-tier sound quality, in which case you’ll likely be looking at full-size, over-the-ear ‘phones.
• You have trouble achieving a just right fit with the M-80s (the M-80 ear cups swivel up and down, but not side to side, which makes the tricky to fit for some wearers).
Ratings (relative to comparably priced on-ear headphones):
Tonal Balance: 9
Comfort/Fit: 7 - 9 (fits some users well, but not others—would benefit from more flexible ear cup mounts)
Noise Isolation: 7 (good, but not great)
V-MODA’s M-80 is one of most capable, revealing, and best-balanced on-ear headphones we’ve tested. It also exhibits the sort of European style and careful attention to construction details that will appeal to many listeners looking for substance, value, and a desirable measure of design “spice,” too.
V-MODA Crossfade M-80 On-Ear Headphone/Headset
Accessories: As listed under “FEATURES”, above.
Frequency Response: 5Hz – 30 kHz (A frequency response curve provided by V-MODA also shows unusually well-balanced response from 20 Hz – 12 kHz. with tolerances competitive with those of more costly competing on-ear headphones).
Drivers: 40mm dual-diaphragm drivers (patents pending)
Sensitivity: 105 dB
Impedance: 28.5 Ohms
Weight: 180 grams
Warranty: 2 years, parts and labor, plus 50% off lifetime replacement guarantee