Consider this product if:
• You favor a neutral sound with good overall balance.
• You prefer an earphone that rests in the ear but not in the ear canal.
• You like to wear your earphones so the cable goes behind your head.
Look further if:
• You want a headphone with a more robust bass response.
• You prefer a small footprint earphone with an in-ear canal fit.
• You don’t like to wear earphones with a cord that goes down one side.
Ratings (relative to comparably-priced earphones)
• Tonal Balance: 8
• Frequency Extremes: 8(Bass)/8(Treble)
• Clarity: 8
• Dynamics: 8
• Comfort/Fit: 8
• Sensitivity: 7
• Value: 8
Within the price range of between $250 and $300 a headphone buyer has plenty of options, and obviously the Sony XBA-3 headphones are one of them. While I can’t say the XBA-3s are my absolute favorite headphone in this highly competitive price point, I can say that they combine many highly desirable sonic and ergonomic features into a very stylish package. Aimed more for the audiophile than the pop music crowd, the XBA-3s contain unique and proprietary technology that places them a step ahead of much of their competition.
Sony XBA-3 earphones
Accessories: seven pairs of eartips (four pairs of hybrid silicon tip, plus three pairs of noise-isolation tips), leather case, cord adjuster
Frequency response: 4 Hz – 28 kHz
Sensitivity: 108 dB SPL/mW
Impedance: 12 Ohms
Weight: 7 g (0.25 oz)
Warranty: 90 days limited warranty
Price: List $279