• Under most circumstances the subwoofer amplifier draws its input signals directly from the Triton Two’s speaker taps, though a separate LFE input jack is also provided for enthusiasts who wish to supply separate LFE signal feeds from an AVR or A/V controller. The amp turns on automatically when it senses that audio signals are present, remaining on until signals are absent for a prolonged period of time (in which case the amp reverts back to a “standby” mode). A rear-panel mounted amp level control knob provides suggested neutral tonal balance marking, while providing an ample upward and downward range of adjustment so that users can tune the speaker’s woofer output levels for most any room.
• Note that one benefit of basing a surround system on the Triton Two floorstanders is that you wind up with two powered subwoofers—not just one as in most home theater systems, which tends to foster noticeably smoother and more evenly balanced in-room bass response.
• The Triton Two’s, like Henry Ford’s famous Model T, are offered in “any color you want as long as it’s black.” The entire speaker enclosure, whose airfoil-like shape is a sculptural delight, is covered by a sleek, stretchy black fabric grille “sock,” which looks great while also saving buyers the cost of expensive lacquered or veneered cabinet surfaces.
• As a subtle but very pleasing visual touch, GoldenEar provides a gloss black upper trim panel that clips to the top rear surface of the speaker and that covers over the seams of the grille sock, giving the fabric covering a delightfully organic and literally seamless appearance. A matching gloss black mounting plate helps steady the tower-type enclosure, making it resistant to potential tip-over accidents. The speaker is supplied with threaded floor spikes.
SuperSat 50C: The SuperSat 50 and 50C are the larger of two series of satellite or LCR-type speakers offered by GoldenEar (with the 50C moniker denoting the center-channel version). The SuperSat 50 is a slim, 2-way, three-driver, dual passive radiator-equipped design that borrows driver technology directly from the Triton Two. Design highlights:
• The SuperSat 50C uses the same HVFR tweeter and dual MVPP 4 ½-inch mid-bass drivers similar to those found in the Triton Two (though the 50C’s tweeter is rotated 90 degrees to accommodate its expected horizontal mounting orientation).
• The SuperSat 50C incorporates dual 4-inch x 7-inch passive radiators conceptually similar to, but smaller than, the 7-inch x 10-inch passive radiators used in the Triton Two. The passive radiators help extend the SuperSat 50 C’s bass response down to a claimed roll-off point of 60Hz.
• The SuperSat 50C enclosure is made of “aerospace-grade aluminum” and finished in gloss black. The enclosure is suitable either for tabletop or wall-mount applications. Note: the SuperSat 50 can also be used with optional floor stands.
• To accommodate wall-mount applications the speaker features a pair of keyhole-type mounting slots in its rear panel, as well as threaded inserts for use with third-party mounts.
• To support tabletop (or shelf-mount) applications, GoldenEar supplies a pair of ingeniously designed, user-adjustable, tilt-back mounting feet that bolt into the threaded inserts on the rear of the SuperSat 50C enclosure. The tilt feature is extremely helpful for angling the speaker either upward or downward toward the main listening area, as necessary. The adjustable feet are finished in gloss black to match the 50C enclosure.
• As an alternative, GoldenEar will offer optional, extra-cost floor stands for the SuperSat 50.
SuperSat 3: The SuperSat 3 and 3C are the smaller of GoldenEar’s two series of satellite or LCR-type speakers (where the 3C would be the center-channel version). The SuperSat 3 is an extremely compact, 2-way, three-driver speaker that, like the larger SuperSat 50/50C, borrows driver technology from the Triton Two. Design highlights:
• The SuperSat 3 uses the same HVFR tweeter and dual MVPP 4 ½-inch mid-bass drivers similar to those found in the Triton Two.
• Unlike the SuperSat 50C, the SuperSat 3 enclosure is constructed “from a rigid, non-resonant marble-powder infused polymer” and finished in gloss black. The enclosure is suitable for tabletop, floor stand-mount, or wall-mount applications (as explained below).
• To accommodate wall-mount applications the speaker features a pair of keyhole-type mounting holes in its rear panel, as well as threaded inserts for use with third-party mounts.