Consider this DAC if:
• You must have a DAC with a variable volume control.
• You require a DAC with USB, S/PDIF, and Toslink inputs.
• You want a DAC that has both balanced and unbalanced outputs.
Look further if:
• You need a USB DAC/preamp that also has analog inputs.
• You require a DAC that also supports multi-channel codecs.
• You want a DAC with an AES/EBU input.
Ratings (relative to comparably-priced DACs):
• Design & Features: 9
• Tonal Balance: 8
• Timbral Purity: 8
• Detail & Resolution: 8
• Imaging/Soundstaging: 8
• Dynamics: 8
• Value: 9.5
Benchmark, price/performance leader, giant-killer…call the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus anything you’d like, but the bottom line is that it can deliver a surprisingly high level of performance and ergonomic elegance at a price that will leave plenty of money left over for the other components in your system.
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus DAC/preamplifier/headphone amp
• Dedicated Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Windows driver for 24-bit/192kHz playback on a PC (download available from Cambridge Audio website). 24-bit/192kHz supported with downloaded USB driver and ASIO or kernel streaming modes.
• Mac OSX 10.5 or later supports 24-bit/192kHz USB output natively, so no dedicated driver is required. Built-in driver for USB 1.0 connection (up to 24-bit/96kHZ).
Inputs: three digital audio inputs (one USB input, plus two additional digital inputs—each with its own set of Toslink and S/PDIF coaxial jacks). Bluetooth connectivity is also offered via an optional Cambridge Audio BT 100 wireless Audio Receiver.
Outputs: two variable-level stereo analog outputs (one single-ended via RCA jacks, one balanced via XLR connectors), two (pass through) digital audio outputs (one S/PDIF coaxial, one Toslink).
Data Rates Supported:
• USB: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz at up to 24-bit resolution.
• Optical and Coaxial S/PDIF: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz at up to 24-bit resolution.
• Internal upsampling to 384kHz/24-bit via Anagram Technologies Adapted Time Filtering 2 (ATF2).
Signal-to-noise ratio: 112 dB
Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.5" x 2.063" x 9.325"
Weight: 2.6 lbs. (without power supply)
Warranty: 2 years
Price: $649 MSRP, $599 MAP
Audio Plus Services