Yaqin MC100B KT88 integrated tube amp. on EBay, Youtube, the internet in general, etc.

default -- Mon, 03/08/2010 - 20:33

Hello,
I have seen this amplifier all over the appropriate categories in EBay, the internet, DIY sites, various home based dealers here and there (who no longer carry it or that brand at all for whatever reasons), on line dealerships, etc. It is made in China (no surprise). It has various finishes and is quite nice looking in all of them in addition to being a fully dual mono component (two power transformers and two output transformers and separate circuit boards, etc.) with switchable triode and ultralinear modes and manual biasing with pots and so on. It gets good reviews from users on Youtube and the DIY sites. It can be bought from a dealer in Canada (Tabnaac on EBAY) who offers a full warranty and repair service if needed as well as predetermining that it works as it should in all manners upon them receiving it from China before shipping it to the customer who then pays applicable import tariffs, duties, etc. It offers 30WPC (or so) in triode and 65WPC in UL mode and allows a detachable power cord even though it comes with its own. It also is made for the US voltage (120 at 60Hz) and does not need a step up transformer since it is not made only for foreign voltage (220V at 50Hz). It can also be bought from The Tubestein Store on EBAY, but they are in Hong Kong just as it can be bought from grant Fidelity from Hong Kong if they have any remaining demo's or leftovers as they no longer stock or manufacture that model. I do not know of any US based dealer off hand at this time. Yes, I see multiple large red flags so to say of caution or forget it entirely.
Are these reliable ? Are they trustworthy ? Are they made with the same parts from one to the next ? How do they measure on a test bench such as Stereophile or HiFI + uses ? Are they made well ? Are they legitimate components to even consider, let alone pay for ? Do they sound good ? (keeping in mind different brands and quality tubes make a difference and personal preferences too) Does anyone have any serious experience with these amps ? If yes, please share in detail as I am considering one due to what it offers and its price of about $700 to $800 total including shipping and import duties, etc.
Thank you.

les brown (not verified) -- Sat, 03/27/2010 - 12:30

hi
purchased one of these amps direct from hong kong 6 months ago, apart from long shipping delay to uk every thing satisfactory. amp sounds good using a Garrard 401 turntable and SLT100SE fed through Xia Sheng 728 pre amp.
As you see I,m a keen valve man being brought up on this type of gear Both the cd player and pre-amp use original valves but I have changed  KT88s  for some genuine Mullard vintage valves saved from a project about 25 years ago. The Mullard valves seem to give a more mellow richer bass. I think this may be a personal preference as original chinese valves sound pretty good. build quality of all chinese gear ok, but I did get a dry joint on pre amp so I resoldered most of the printed circuit board  Main amp has never given any trouble, so working on the principle if it works leave it alone I dont know about the soldering on that all I can say is that if its like the preamp its a sod to take apart. Caps are all Wima brand on mine
I thoruhly recomend this amp to anyone anyone considering price

TD160 -- Sat, 02/16/2013 - 23:52

Hi,
I love the sound my Yaqin MC100B, I removed all china made tubes and put in 4 Tung-Sol Kt120 (set bias with 4 cheap multimeters to 0.55mV), 4 Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EH gold pins and 2 JJ Electronic ECC803 S gold pins tubes.
I also love the sound and have Yaqin SD-30A tube fidelity output CD player, I also removed china tubes and replace with 2 JJ Electronic ECC81 gold pin tubes.
I get all my tubes from Yen Audio in USA.

TD160 -- Sun, 02/17/2013 - 00:44

I use silicon tube dampers on all tubes on Amp, and you must give the new tubes at least 40 hours to settle. All cables are Wireworld Oasis 6 speaker cable on Monitor Audio silver RX-6 (top inputs) and Solstice 6 interconects.

TD160 -- Sat, 11/09/2013 - 23:03

Hi all,Just got my Yaqin MS-300C 300B integrated tube amplifier, I have removed all china tubes and replaced them with 2 JJ electronic 300b (set bias to 0.778V or 778mV), 2 Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EH gold pins and 2 JJ electronic  ECC81 S gold pins, WOW - sound to die for and can run head phones direct, has about 10w.p.c. so can power  all Hifiman head phones with power to spare !

TD160 -- Sat, 01/04/2014 - 17:52

My AKG 702 never sounded beter, with Asus Transformer Book (TX300CA), Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, Wireworld Solstice 6 (2 RCA to 2 RCA) cable with 2 RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.