Urgent Help Required Panasonic TC-P65V10 vs. Panasonic TH-65PZ850U

default -- Mon, 12/14/2009 - 13:04

I need your help to decide. I was about to purchase the Panasonic TC-P65V10  today when I found the I found the old version Panasonic Viera TH-65PZ850U for almost $2000 less.
Is there a huge difference in picture quality between the two models that justify the price difference.
I was willing to pay for the TC-P65V10  but decided to wait and ask for advice. I need to proceed within 24 hrs.

Thanks

Sam -- Mon, 12/14/2009 - 15:02

only 24hrs to proceed? Bush is good with those decisions..lol  Anyhow, If I could I would go to one or multiple stores and at least take a look at both of them and see what you like (Even if they are not side by side or in the same store).  When I was buying my TV there were some TV's that were expensive only because of the brand name, everything else with specs even picture quality looked the same but price difference huge.  I was hell bent on my Brand and luckily Best Buy was coming out with a newer model which dropped the price of the older model by 40%.  The newer model was more hype, different looking, but to me didn't look that much of a Huge jump from the previous one.  So I would look at 1. Reviews of both, 2. How it looks to me, 3. Check the specs and see how much they are different ex: resolution/pixels the 1080p stuff, HD stuff etc...Definately go with something that plays HD, 4. Bite the bullet and purchase.  To be honest I am very picky with everything audio and selecting an Older outgoing model that was almost double the price 6 months ago did not bother me at all with the current lower price.  Its been 3 years and am still very happy with my purchase.  With all things audio and video the newer model or higher price may not be much different or worth the price, but generally it is higher price because its new.  We will not see another breakthrough for at least several years now in major technology jump. The HD TV/flat screens was huge but to improve on the breakthrough technology of Hi definition will take some time that's why I bought with confidence. Also talk to a few best buy guys selling TV's there....If you know enough about the product when talking to them you will realize that 90% of people working there would talk nonsense but there are one or two people there who are really into it and know a lot so...thats another way to get some expert advise.

GB (not verified) -- Tue, 12/15/2009 - 11:34

Thanks, I have the complets HC Gear witha Sony 46" XI series. But with the World Cup in the Summer I need one for sports, something special and large. That is why I was considering Plasma over LED.

My only concern is that when compared both Panasonics side by side, I found the V10 to have a brighter picture of course higher contras and less reflective screen. The HDTV will be facing a window.
I would feel really bad spending the addional 2 grand but I have no clue how good the 850 is. I haven't come across many reviews.
It is a dilema
And You are spot on. All those guys in showroom speak nonesense. They have no clue of tech ins and outs

Sam -- Tue, 12/15/2009 - 15:12

From What little I know, Plasma TV's are really difficult with extra light in the room or Angled View. I think Burn in/reliability issues are similar for Plasma and LCD. I went with the LCD because the TV is in a casual family room with plenty of light, with kids around, lots of people watch at the same time so some are sitting at an angle watching. LCD worked great for my situation. If I had a nice dedicated Video room, with controlled lighting, proper seating I would have gone with the Plasma. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search...and let us know what you decide. Personally I think its a big investment and you will most likely use it for at least 3 to 5 years......Might as well do proper research and make sure you are happy with it. I was also not happy with anything smaller than 52 inch screen....so yea the size of the screen and the space you have in the room is also important. I think for a 52 inch you should sit at least 12 feet away if I remember correctly....you can get the seating info online or in the manual I think. If you are super picky you might want to consider getting a calibration done on the TV. It's about $500 but well worth it. Good luck!

Anonymousgb (not verified) -- Wed, 12/16/2009 - 09:19

Thanks, i'll keep you posted

plasmas (not verified) -- Sat, 03/13/2010 - 13:31

Unfortunately, Panasonic 65'' plasma's are still above $2000 right now.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.