ToneAudio Magazine is going REVIEW the BOSE 901's SOON !.....

HiFiSoundGuy -- Mon, 02/13/2012 - 16:12

Its about time someone reviewed these 901's again !.. Tone Publications is now reviewing these LATEST Bose 901's with their "Reference Gear and Reference Cables", review coming soon !..

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=276693

soundman -- Mon, 02/13/2012 - 20:31

AND?

theophile -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 09:51

You guys will have to change the name of the publication to:

Tone Deaf Audio.

Turntable   Yamaha GT 2000 Cartridge   Soundsmith The Voice Ebony Phono stage   Moon LP 5.3 Preamplifier   Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Active Crossover   Accuphase F-25  Poweramps Kenwood L-06Ms Sp

soundman -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 12:22

ROTF/LMAO

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 11:21

I wouldn't believe a word of anything that Drone Audio, aka "Fountain of mis-information" writes!

Amandela77 -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 19:15

Since Bose doesn't make high-end speakers, why would this review be of any value to TAS readers?

Amandela77

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 19:17

Lol!

soundman -- Wed, 02/15/2012 - 19:44

Exactly!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 02/17/2012 - 23:59

Someone needs to do a review with two pair of 901's in one system..

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=5722

Amandela77 -- Sun, 02/19/2012 - 19:30

I'll be sure NOT to read that review, twice.

Amandela77

soundman -- Sun, 02/19/2012 - 20:12

TWO TIMES the IM distortion? Oh goody!

Zach -- Sat, 02/18/2012 - 00:51

Must miss!!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Tue, 02/21/2012 - 16:48

We all like the "stock" ,one pair of 901's better than the new Magnepan 1.7's.
   Two pair of 901's "Stacked" with all the grilles OFF and with teflon tape covering all plastic parts on the back side of these speakers...the ports and all other plastic parts sticking out back there. These plastic parts just COLORS the sound WAY TOO MUCH ! We all think this set up sounds as good as my friends Quad ESL 2905's !.. You might get these 901's to sound even better if you cover all these plastic parts with  non-hardening modeling clay.

They may never be a review on these modified 901's BUT maybe some 901 owners out there might try this to their 901's and let us all know what they think...

SundayNiagara -- Tue, 02/21/2012 - 17:12

C H U T Z P A H - Unmitigated gall!

soundman -- Tue, 02/21/2012 - 18:58

"We all like the "stock" ,one pair of 901's better than the new Magnepan 1.7's."        THAT pretty much says it ALL!  Julian Hirsch probably would have too.

Amandela77 -- Wed, 02/22/2012 - 06:24

Good luck, HiFiSoundGuy:

One can only hope that the 901s take their rightful place alongside the Magico Q1s, the Maggie 1.7/3.7s, the Quad ESLs, and other benchmarks of the high-end, much as Obama's Nobel Prize represented a lifetime of work and personal sacrifice in the field of international human rights. 

So say we all...

Amandela77

soundman -- Wed, 02/22/2012 - 15:16

I'm surprised he didn't receive the Heisman Trophy, for that last football game he attended!

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 02/22/2012 - 15:51

C'mon you guys, don't turn this thread political!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Wed, 02/22/2012 - 16:47

We all have different tastes and we all hear things differently and some of us just love these 901's ! What part of this don't you ALL understand.... ..... ....

These modified 901's are GOOD news for 901 owners out there BUT for "BOSE BASHERS" it's.. very BAD news in the... "near future" !... ...

This is what makes this hobby so great and So...."Entertaining" for all of us !..... ...... .......

soundman -- Wed, 02/22/2012 - 18:26

You are absolutely correct!  It's not mine to tell you what is right, in your listening environment.  However; by beginning this thread, you brought the subject into the public domain.  Part of our, "entertainment" is expressing our opinions/observations.   ESPECIALLY when the subject matter is so IMMENSELY LAUGHABLE!  Happy listening!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Mon, 02/27/2012 - 15:52

It's good that someone is reviewing these Latest BOSE 901's BUT ALL "REVIEWS" should be looked at as a GUIDE ONLY because  we all hear things differently and we all have different tastes !.....

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 03/16/2012 - 19:15

The review on these 901's is coming out this Saturday on this thread below ...

www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=279685

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 03/17/2012 - 14:05

3:10 PM EDT, they ain't there yet!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 03/17/2012 - 15:33

Here's part two of this review .... http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

Jeff is seriously considering keeping these 901's !....

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 03/17/2012 - 17:33

Where is part two?

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 03/17/2012 - 17:44

Part three will be coming up next with his reference tube gear and his reference interconnects and speaker cables.... this should be a real ear opener !!..

HiFiSoundGuy -- Mon, 03/19/2012 - 00:15

Did you all know that Jeff did NOT use the bose equalizer for this review ?

I wonder why Jeff did this Because without the equalizer these 901's don't sound that good AT ALL !! What's going on here ???....

If you look down this page below your see that he did NOT use the bose equalizer .....

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=279685&page=9

wd3 -- Mon, 03/19/2012 - 16:12

I thought Bose was suppose to debut a new generation of 901? Didn't you have a link to some pics HIFIGUY? Another question is why do Japan and Asia get the better Westborough Bose stuff and the US doesn"t.

http://audio-database.com/BOSE/speaker/901westborough-e.html
And notice, yes Bose does give frequency specs of its speakes to customers outside the US.

TONEPUB -- Tue, 03/20/2012 - 17:25

Don't know why you guys are wasting TAS readers time with stuff in our magazine, but if you must, we had a lot of fun listening to the 901's and they really aren't a bad speaker for $1400.  Believe it if you wan't, don't believe it if you don't want.   Everyone that heard them, no matter how much they were convinced that the experience would be awful was shocked at how good the current 901 actually is.
Are these giant killers?  No.  Are they the equivalent of much more expensive speakers? Nope.
Very musical and coherent, I too was surprised.  Could I live with a pair if I were buying something in this price range, no problem.
Something was taken out of context on the SH forum, we did use the Bose EQ for all listening, ranging from a budget, vintage Pioneer recvr. up to a $400k+ reference system.
And as for Sunday Niagra....   WIll you ever grow up?  Your constant whining everywhere you get the chance is really pathetic.  I think TAS readers deserve better.
As for the rest of the criticism, as my old boss Harry Pearson used to say, "If you haven't heard em, you can't comment."   
TTFN.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 01:30

Jeff , we all hear things differently and we all have different tastes ! I'm sure there some out there that would not like your $400k+ system too. That's what makes this hobby so great !....

They are others out there that feel the same way as I do about these 901's....."they are among the best speakers on the market" !... I'm very very happy with my modified 901's and that's all that matters !..

All reviews should always be looked at as a guide only !...

wd3 -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 08:37

TonePub, I like reading your reviews, they do not read like wine testing events. With that stated, you did not speak in detail how the speakers sound as much as you have with other speaker reviews. Especially would like to have read more on how the 901s did with high end equipment. As regards Bose, I spoke to someone who stated Bose uses Quad electrostats as one of their references in R&D, when one thinks about how they sound, it makes sense.

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 07:58

Attn TONEPUB:
Will you ever publish a REAL magazine?  You are just a poor little rich kid who does this so you can buy at accomodation prices.  At least Chris Yuin gets some respect.  She's the best thing you have.

TONEPUB -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 13:43

You really are an insulting idiot who has no idea of who I am or what I do. Your constant insults are both childish and tiring.

You're just/still mad that I got you kicked off of a couple of forums because of your behavior. I hope the moderators at this forum will have the good sense to do the same. Your insights are juvenile at best, and pathetic at their worst.

Poor little rich kid. Now that's funny. I think you've got me confused with someone else that you spend time with.

This argument has no place on TAS's forum, which again shows your complete lack of respect for them. If you have a problem with me, take it up with me in person, which is something that every internet coward like yourself always lacks the courage to do.

Be a man instead of a whiny little bitch on an internet forum.

I trust that this post will be incendiary enough to have this thread closed.

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 14:41

I didn't start this, i attacked no one in this thread. So maybe the mods need to say bye-bye to you, Richie Rich!

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 04/11/2012 - 09:31

I just learned last evening that this yutz was booted out of Audio Aficionado. Anyone know why?

HiFiSoundGuy -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 16:38

Jeff , these 901's sound much better when you pair them up with the right interconnects and speaker cables. The Crimson R.M. Music Link cables are among the best cables you can buy at any price ! They do take a long time to break-in really GOOD between 45 to 60 days, playing music 24/7. These cables are a match made in heaven with these 901's and they just might become your new reference cables too if you ever try them sometime.

Another thing I tried back when I first got my 901's, was using some RCA to XLR adapters so I could use my CD Balance inputs on my Yamaha a-s2000 integrated amp. I have my Bose equalizer hook up between my CD player and my Yamaha integrated amp, hooked up to my CD Balance inputs. When I added these adapters my 901's sounded much better and they sound very different without these adapters too. You might want to try some of these adapters in your Reference system and see what you think. If you have Balance hook ups at both ends then try two pair of these adapters. Try hooking up the Bose equalizer like I did between your CD player But to your pre-amp using your Balance inputs by using some of these RCA to XLR adapters. Then try it the same way between your pre-amp and power amp using your Balance inputs on your amp too. Find out what way sounds best in your system.

If you do keep these 901's they do sound better with all the grilles OFF and teflon tape covering all the plastic parts sticking out on the backside of these speakers. I sure you would not listen to your Reference speakers if they had "Fiberglass grilles" on them....would you ?  I have never heard speakers that sounded better with the grilles ON !

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 03/21/2012 - 14:49

Moderators:
Please take care of TONEPUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Thu, 03/22/2012 - 19:19

The review Jeff is doing on these 901's ARE NOT the same as my modified 901's, they are a big difference between the two !!....... The stock 901's have THICK fiberglass grilles on them and these grilles just cover up and color the sound A LOT !!.....

If Jeff keeps these 901's he should do a update review on the modified 901's and let people know how GOOD these 901's CAN SOUND with my mods on the Bose equalizer and 901's !

jax4736 -- Fri, 03/23/2012 - 10:29

HiFiSoundGuy, why all the zeal about Bose? I have gear that I love but I don't gush about it on sites all over the Internet. I don't know if your enthusiasm is infectious and causing others to come over to the Bose camp, but I hope you feel validated by the review. Why not talk with the reviewer directly instead of addressing him on online forums? Perhaps Bose themselves ( the company) would be interested to hear of your methods of improving their speakers).
I had a pair of 901's about 20 years ago, they were a step up for me then, but I've long moved on since then. I'm a classical musician, have absolute pitch, read actual written conductor scores when I listen to classical music, and like hearing detail, soundstaging, and a host of other things the Bose didn't do for me (I know, that was a 20 year old Bose back then).

Jeff is saying things like "It's not a bad speaker for $1400" but your postings suggest Magico, YG, Wilson, Revel, and other high end speaker brands need to be worried...

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 03/23/2012 - 14:27

jax4736 , these 901's have come a long ways from those 901's you heard back then ! And these 901's can be made to sound much better by removing those THICK fiberglass grilles, I really don't see how the sound gets through that THICK fiberglass on these grilles !! And what sound does get through is very very colored !! Bose should make removable grilles for these latest 901's like they used in the past.

With these 901's, CABLES are MORE IMPORTANT than SETUP !  I found out by using really GOOD cables with these latest 901's lets you hear the full potential of these speakers !...... Using really GOOD interconnects and speaker cables is the "MOST IMPORTANT THING" with this 901 system !!

Here's part three of this review below... http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

jax4736 -- Fri, 03/23/2012 - 12:36

Just curious, HiFiSoundGuy, what other non-Bose speakers have you heard, and how do you think the 901's compare to them?

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 03/23/2012 - 13:26

jax4736,  I have heard many speakers in the past but my two pair of modified 901's "Stacked" sound most like our friend's Quad ESL 2905's , you can play the 901's louder but I think the Quad's have a little better top end but I think my 901's have a little better mid-range and I think my two pair of 901's have a better bottom end to them compared to the Quads. BUT we will never get a magazine review of these modified 901's SO maybe someone out on these forums will try this out and let us all know what they think about these modified 901's "Stacked".

The more tweaks I do to these 901's, the better they sound.....all speakers on the market can be modified to sound much better !....

sunknight -- Tue, 04/30/2013 - 11:28

I read on ToneAudio Magazine an article about how to make money online, I tried it and I managed to make a couple of bucks. Since then I read every article, their journalists are professionals that make very good reviews. I wanted to buy a bose 901 system but will wait to check first the review, I am very interested what is their opinion about this system and it if is worthy.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.