The New And Improved BOSE 901 Series 6 MK2's.......

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 01/07/2011 - 14:47

I think alot people that did not care for any of the past series of the 901's is in for a REAL EAR OPENER with these new 901 series 6 MK2's !! When you use two pair of these 901 series 6 MK2's STACKED they can go toe toe with some of the best speakers on the market today !!

Gadgetman -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 19:01

Folks, I'm sorry to be mom, but I need to remind you of our community guidelines which read in part:

Golden Rule

• Treat people how you'd like to be treated. When you see cool stuff, leave a comment or get a discussion going. If someone uploads a picture of their speakers and it doesn't float your boat, don't sweat it. Be polite and respectful. Discussions are encouraged; hating is prohibited.
  •  

Don't forget the Golden Rule

• Don't hate, don't threaten, don't call people names, don't be angry and don't drown yourself in a sludgy cynical pool of death sludge. If someone is mis-behaving, report it to us, don't attack them. Enough said.

Be Encouraging, Don't Be Insulting

When people know less than you do, be helpful and supportive. When you think you know, but you don't really have first hand experience, be cautious of the limits of your knowledge. Be respectful of surprising points of view. Draw a clear distinction between accepted wisdom and what you actually know first hand.

AVGuide webmaster and general drudge

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 19:38

One can only wonder how this ^ came about!

Gadgetman -- Sun, 02/06/2011 - 15:53

I read as many posts as I can, which is far from all of them because I have a lot of other stuff to do. I remind the posters of the guidelines when it seems necessary. That's all. This is just another case of which there are many other examples.

In this case I would add that HiFiSoundGuy is new. Being impolite to new members is particularly frowned upon because it doesn't help in any way we can think of, but it does hurt more than might normally be the case.

Ded Frag -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 19:38

I find nothing offensive in a humorous remark such as "Are you selling the dope you are smoking? It must be really amazing!!!!"
You'd have to be very thin skinned to take that the wrong way. C'mon, lighten up children.

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 20:11

Amen!

Gadgetman -- Sun, 02/06/2011 - 16:10

My reminder was not just for Elliott (or I would have replied instead of simply adding a post). Many of the posts in this thread violate the guidelines (the ones I posted here and more). The question isn't whether you think you or someone else has violated them, but whether the original poster and a typical user might. The original poster clearly finds some of the remarks in violation, which is enough as explained above. But I think many posts here have violated them too, and I wrote the guidelines, so in this case I'm pretty sure I know what they mean.

We agree about lightening up, and angry self-righteous cynicism ain't it. Please try to be helpful and knowledgeable. We're all for humor, too, but not at the expense of other members.

BTW, Fred, most of your posts here have been pretty reasonable. Thanks.

Garth Nelson -- Sun, 02/06/2011 - 11:20

I agree with Gadgetman.  Even thu I have never heard a bose product I still find a lot of the posts on this thread lack any attempt at manners or human decency.  This board in general seems to be very pompous and self rightous.  Their are many knowledgeable people posting here would turning down the volume on the snide remarks kill you. As to thin skinned a lot of these posts are just muck raking.  A bunch of audio nerds acting tough on the internet WOW I live in fear.
   When asked the difference between genius and stupidity Albert Eninstein was quoted as saying "Genius has it's limits" That is why some of you should put some limits on your posts. That snide enough for you.  Fred Elliot your smart guys why do you like comeing across as the the south end of a north bound horse.

Garth

soundman -- Sun, 02/06/2011 - 16:50

Why can't I convince this site, that I DO NOT want to be e-mailed about responses to this irritating thread?  I have UNCHECKED the, "notify" box repeatedly, but still receive e-mails.

T_Bop -- Mon, 02/07/2011 - 21:34

Okay - perhaps I can shed a little light on what we're discussing here - in a rational, logical way.
Let's take nine 4 1/2" drivers - no tweeters - no woofers.  Now arrange them in a box so that only 11% of the sound is firing directly at you.  The other 89% is reflected off nearby boundaries - like the wall behind the speakers and those to the side and, if you hang the from the ceiling, add the ceiling itself.  Channel some of that sound through the inside of the speaker and out the two ports on each speaker - cause that's what creates the bass (if you'd like to create that effect at home, just put your ghetto-blaster in a cardboard box - you'll have bass).  And, since we're being brave, straightwire-with-gain be damned, throw in an Active Equalizer.  Heck, after skewing the frequency response all over the place, what harm would an active equalizer do?
Now tell me, what do you think the "time alignment of these speakers is like?  They encourage you to hang them from the ceiling.  Imagine the imaging prowess of that technique when so much of the sound is bouncing off of three boundaries that are each a different distance form the listener.  Think there is any cancellation effects from all the same-sized drivers?  Think any frequencies are creating standing waves from all the reflective sound, skewing whatever attempt at a flat-frequency response the record engineer attempted.  Think any of the sound of the original event could manage to make it through that maze?  Not with that Active Equalizer standing guard.
If anyone can understand all that and still be "amazed" by the Bose 901 speakers, they're not trying to get it right, they're just trying to be right - no matter the facts.
What I wrote above comes directly from the Bose 901 manual.  We're talking physics here guys.  They can fool you into thinking they did something no one else has.  But compare them honestly to Wilson, Magico, Magnaplanar, etc.. and you'll agree.  The Bose 910 speakers, sorry to say, are a sales pitch - not, and never will be - High-End Audio.

SundayNiagara -- Tue, 02/08/2011 - 08:43

Post of the day!

jdmccall56 -- Sat, 07/09/2011 - 00:14

First off, I am not a troll! 
I came back to a pair of Bose 901 Series VI speakers in the fall of '09 after failing to achieve good two-channel results in my basement man-cave with klipschorns (4 yrs), B&W 703's (1 yr) and a/d/s/ HT400LCR's w/ subs (1 yr).  Where the previous speakers failed, the 901's succeeded.  I do still have a 5-channel surround system in the same room utilizing the a/d/s/ speakers, but all two-channel music listening is done with the 901's, driven by an Adcom 5500 amp and a NAD C165 preamp.
No audiophile on earth has to endure as much derision as one who actually likes Bose speakers.  And there are probably more than you may think.  It's just that we are nearly invisible because we get tired of the abuse.  Personally, I've always like the 901.  From the series III on at least, as that is all I have heard.  I owned Series IV's back in the seventies but sold them after a move to a house that did not have a good room for them.
I love the sound of these things!  At least in the room they now reside in.  In another room, who knows?  You can tell me what is (theoretically, at least) wrong with the design all day long, but at the end of that day...they just sound good; and musical, in a relaxed, organic way.  I can listen for hours with no fatigue as long as I don't get too silly with the volume.  True, studio monitors they are not.  But studio monitors do not sound like live music, either.  The 901's sound more like live music than anything I've heard.  Live music, in my experience, is usually big and powerful sounding, with a low-frequency and dynamic slam that is almost always lacking in most reasonably priced audio rigs.  The 901's deliver these qualities in abundance, and in a small, affordable package.
I can only conjecture as to why they sound so satisfying to me as I am not an engineer.  But I think the lack of a crossover may have something to do with it; and the fact that the drivers are all identical and closely spaced.  But I dunno.  All I know is that I love'm!  They're not perfect, but considering their low cost and small size, their performance is amazing.  It's no wonder to me why they have survived in the marketplace for 43 years and counting.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Mon, 07/18/2011 - 16:23

WOW ! I thought "everybody" on the forums hated these 901's...I'm SHOCKED !  Its Good to see someone else here on this forum that is enjoying these 901's like I am . Someone over on the steve hoffman forum thinks the 901 series 6's are right up there.. "among the finest sounding speakers on the market today" >>>.... http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=156904&page=3

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 07/22/2011 - 14:32

If you go look at July's Issue of Stereophile, they reviewed the Audience ClairAudient 2+2 speakers and the writer made comments about the "possible audible benefits of having only one type and size of speaker drive, and no passive-crossovers". I agree with his comments and I sure find this to be true with the BOSE 901's !............

jdmccall56 -- Sat, 07/23/2011 - 13:24

Yeah, the ClairAudient designs are very interesting. It's too bad the prices are so high...definitely out of my reach. I do think the concept of using only one driver, but in multiples, is key; as is not having (or needing) a crossover. I don't know why people are so freaked out by the use of an active EQ like the 901 uses. All the the purist vinyl fans don't seem to mind the RIAA equalizer built into every phono preamp. There is just a wholeness to the sound of the 901 that is very addictive and seems to invite hours of music listening. Not necessarily the most revealing sound, but then, I'd rather hear live music in a nicely reverberant hall than in an anechoic chamber. So maybe it's just a matter of taste. Some like the front row, some row 20. Some want their hi-fi to take them to the concert venue, while others want their's to bring the band into their living room. Different strokes for different folks.

Berner -- Fri, 09/02/2011 - 21:29

"There is just a wholeness to the sound of the 901 that is very addictive and seems to invite hours of music listening"
Agreed.  I've been living with Mirage M-3s since 1987 for similar reasons. Perhaps there is something to the dipole thing.

jdmccall56 -- Fri, 09/02/2011 - 23:34

I think there definitely "is something to the dipole thing"!  And I think the "something" is that the limited dispersion thru the mids and high frequencies of typical cone and dome loudspeakers just does not approximate the way sound is produced and dispersed in live music, whether it be acoustic or electric.
Of course, I don't think dipoles are the only path to nirvana; or bipoles, "omni"poles or whatever pigeon hole you might put the Bose 901 in.  I just think that the typical small to medium size living space can not sound anything like live music with narrow dispersion speakers because they almost always will be the obvious sound sources, especially the higher up you go in frequency.  To me, everything sounds reduced in size, shrunken down to miniature status.  And the "pinpoint imaging", while impressive for awhile, just isn't very realistic if you compare to live sound.  

Tunah -- Wed, 10/19/2011 - 13:57

Have to say I have had 901's since 1975.  They have always given me what I wanted in sound and lasted 36 years without letting me down.  I have a good ear for Music and more Jazz orientated.  I just sent in my 901 II's on an exchange program for the 901 VI's MK2's and was concerned sending speakers that worked well for their latest offering but given the incentive of less than half price and a 5 yr warrenty I took a leap of faith if the old ones finally failed what would I have left.  I received the new VI's in 4 weeks after sending in my old set and was surprised that they performed beyond my expectation. There is a lot of Bose bashing due to price and challenges with set-up but if you set them up correctly they are the best speakers I have ever owned or heard. I have a very nice Kliptsch 5.1 system in my living room and the Bose in my downstairs area and the Bose are my favorite. The price in 1975 I thought was too much but after 36yrs of performing well it comes down to $14 a year for my expense.  I hope with the new set which will probably outlast me will give my kids years of service also.  My Kliptsch system was simple to set up and am happy with it and is a great value.  My 901's needed the right placement and understanding of the support equipment to get them to perform at what I feel is a high level.  If you do not know how to get them figured out I can see why people are frustrated and do not see the value in them.  Thanks Bose,  I am a satisfied customer.

jdmccall56 -- Wed, 10/19/2011 - 23:13

It's nice to hear your good experience with Bose and with your 901's. I've heard other similar stories of their outstanding customer service.

My 901's are set up in the same room with my HT -two separate systems in one room. The HT speakers are a/d/s/ with two Velodyne subs. They work very nicely for HT and are OK for my few surround SACD's and DVD-A's, but my main enjoyment is two-channel music through my 901's. They absolutely amaze me! I can't say they're the best speakers I've ever heard, but they're certainly the best I've heard in the room they are in. Oddly enough, the best sounding speakers I have heard were klipschorns, but in my room, the 901's blow the k-horns away. Yet, I wouldn't say my 901's in this room sound better than the k-horns in the room I heard the best sounding ones in. Just goes to show you can't really separate the speaker sound from the room sound.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Tue, 12/13/2011 - 11:31

I did some tweaks to my new Bose 901's that made them sound MUCH...BETTER !!..

I took off the front and back grills because they just COLORED the SOUND.. TOO MUCH !........
  With the grills OFF these speakers sound cleaner and much more open and more realistic too !

Everything now sounds SOOO SPOOKY REAL now !!....
  These 901's now don't sound anything like they used to sound, its a NIGHT and DAY DIFFERENCE !!
  I think these 901's would get a lot more love if they only knew how good these speakers can really sound !!....
  I now love these 901's with most of the speaker drivers facing the front wall !!............ 

Elliot Goldman -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 10:22

I have eaten in fine restaurants all over Paris, Leon, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Miami, London, Toronto etc .
After eating in all these highly rated places that the critics all  rave about and the Chefs are recognized as the best the world has to offer I think they are al idiots and that McDonalds is the worlds best restaurant!!!!!
Bose is the worlds best speakere
A corvair was the worlds best car
Roseann Barr is the worlds sexiest woman
Nixon was the best US president
Canned Vegetables are MUCH better than fresh
MY findings are based  on the following rule Opinions are like a----------, everyone has one!!

Priaptor -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 10:36

Wait, are you saying Nixon wasn't the best President?

jdmccall56 -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 10:43

Elliot,
You left off the last part of the rule:
...but not everyone has to ~be~ one!

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 10:36

Corvair was a good car, Nader ruined it!

Elliot Goldman -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 10:53

Well JD,
This is where we disapgree again. Someone promoting the idea that Bose makes state of the art products is just plain wrong!!! ALl of you are entitled to your opinion, you certainly can enjoy what you have purchased, but the product that is being discussed is NOT a state of the Art product..,PERIOD
It is a marketing goldmine, its the kings new clothes, it is audio for the those who don't know any better. If that makes me what you called me then so be it.
I have spent my entire adult life in the business of producing quality sound. I go regularly to see all types of live music( try it sometime its quite a good educational tool) and what is discussed here is just plain NONSENSE ir,
respectfully
E

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 11:59

Post of the year candidate!

jdmccall56 -- Wed, 12/14/2011 - 22:51

I don't recall anyone making the claim that Bose makes "state of the art" products. Perhaps I missed it. Besides, thats a pretty wide-open term anyway. It can mean about anything to anyone. A Quad esl may define the state of the art in one or more areas of performance, but certainly not in all.

..."audio for those who don't know any better." Well, that's a bit insulting. But that's OK, I'm a big boy.

"If that makes me what you called me"... Say what? What did I call you? An ***hole? Nay! At least, not exactly. I merely finished the saying you started.

"I have spent my entire adult life in the business of producing quality sound. I go regularly to see all types of live music( try it sometime its quite a good educational tool) and what is discussed here is just plain NONSENSE ir,"

Good for you. I'm envious of anyone who has been able to work in the audio and/or music worlds. But that does not mean your ears are golden! And why would you presume that I or anyone else for that matter has not had a fair amount of experience hearing live music? I love experiencing live music but honestly don't have the opportunity as much as I would like. But when I do, I always try to maximize the experience by thinking about the sound, analyzing it and trying to learn from it and compare it to what I hear from audio systems.

It's kinda funny really. If I say I own MBL Radialstrahlers, that's cool. If I say I own Avant Garde Trio's, that's cool, too. Yet they are totally different technologies and totally different sounds. Both could even be arguably called "state-of-the-art" in some area or another. Both are "audiophile-approved" and their owners are "in the club". But as an owner of Bose 901's, I'm treated like some kind of infidel bastard step-child. But that's OK, too. I know what live music sounds like and it isn't sterile and small. It's big and powerful. And that's exactly how 901's sound when properly set up. Many people honestly prefer the sound oftheir stereos to live music because of the "pin-point" imaging they can get at home. That' just not how real music sounds, though. At least not usually. Not in my experience.

But audio is pretty big tent. We don't have to all value the same performance attributes equally.

RDawkins -- Thu, 12/15/2011 - 20:24

May I advise you all to beware of HiFiSoundGuy. He has been trolling fairly successfully over at AudioCircle since 2006.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=40582;area=showpos...
I think the  best response to his posts is silence. You will notice he rarely directly addresses responses made to his posts - that is, engage in dialogue - he just repeats himself or proceeds to his next statement.

Russell

HiFiSoundGuy -- Mon, 12/19/2011 - 00:22

Russell...you need to GET A LIFE !....

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 12/23/2011 - 17:12

Another thing I found out about these 901's is that you have to find out which speaker is your left speaker and which speaker is your right speaker. These 901's will never sound right until you get this right first !...

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 02/11/2012 - 14:02

I'm using Crimson Music Link interconnects and speaker cables with these 901's and that really got these 901's to SING now !
  Alot people don't like these 901's because they are not using GOOD cables with them. If your using the cheap interconnects that came with the bose equalizer and cheap speaker cables then your not going to hear the full potential of these 901's....PERIOD !!

These cables are so much of a good match with these 901's that they must be heard to be believed !

Yes, set up is KEY but so is using GOOD cables ! I think cables are just as important as set up......

Tube747 -- Thu, 06/28/2012 - 14:17

What about stacking 3-4 pairs 901 VI series 2 in parallel? What is the minimum impedance for the array?? 

Amandela77 -- Thu, 06/28/2012 - 17:12

What amazes - and profoundly so - is the sheer amount of intellectual and emotional energy dedicated to a mediocre product. 

Perhaps we can opine what the venerable 901s would sound like driven by the new three box Pass Labs pre/Class A mono-block reference amps. 

Better yet: I'll finish my beer and await the arrival of the Dark Knight and the Master Chief. These are events that real red-blooded American men care about))))))) 

Amandela77

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.