The New And Improved BOSE 901 Series 6 MK2's.......

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 01/07/2011 - 14:47

I think alot people that did not care for any of the past series of the 901's is in for a REAL EAR OPENER with these new 901 series 6 MK2's !! When you use two pair of these 901 series 6 MK2's STACKED they can go toe toe with some of the best speakers on the market today !!

discman -- Fri, 01/07/2011 - 15:57

What's the price? Is there a Bose dealer who could competently demo them?

Ded Frag -- Fri, 01/07/2011 - 19:12

More importantly, is there a Bose employee who could competently design them?

SundayNiagara -- Fri, 01/07/2011 - 22:52

LMFAO!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 01/08/2011 - 11:10

I DO NOT use the bose equalizer with these speakers I use a Behringer DEQ2496 equalizer with my 901's. This is a BIG IMPROVEMENT over the bose equalizer !

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 01/08/2011 - 11:37

The best eq, is NO eq!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 01/08/2011 - 15:30

The 901 series 6 MK2's had some improvements done to the speaker drives and they now use a new type of surrounds on the speaker driver that is said to be alot better and will last a long long time.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sun, 01/09/2011 - 12:50

The EVS Ground Enhancers work really good with the 901's ! http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_Ground_Enhancers.html

Ded Frag -- Tue, 01/11/2011 - 16:26

From the EVS 'Ground Enhancers' site :-"These Ground Enhancers are simply tuned pieces of wire that add a low impedance localized ground storage that enhance the sound in ways that are dumbfounding." Please explain.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Tue, 01/11/2011 - 16:10

These 901's sound MUCH BETTER with the speakers turned around backwards !

HiFiSoundGuy -- Thu, 01/20/2011 - 17:27

I took my Behringer equalizer out of my system and hooked up my two bose equalizers together in series through my tape loop. WOW! This made a big difference my two pair of 901's has never sounded this damn good before! Maybe more people with 901's should try this and see if they like it better.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 02/11/2011 - 18:12

Someone on another forum said that paul Klipsch tested the 901's and found they sounded best with the speakers turned around backwards and pushed into the corners... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-99612.html

Ded Frag -- Tue, 01/11/2011 - 16:23

OK, all jokes aside, apart from an instantaneous drop in circulation figures, I wonder what the outcome would be if Absolute Sound reviewed these wonders ?

HiFiSoundGuy -- Tue, 01/11/2011 - 18:19

More people needs to know how good these new and improved 901's really are ! I really hope they do a review sometime soon.....

Ded Frag -- Tue, 01/11/2011 - 18:33

Surely you can understand why so many of us are skeptical that Bose could come up with anything half good. The only thing I've heard from them so far that's tolerable are their desktop PC speakers.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sun, 01/16/2011 - 13:00

I took my behringer equalizer out of my system and hooked up my two bose series 6 version 2 equalizers together in series. WOW, this was a BIG difference! My two pair of new 901's has never sounded this damn good before. Everything sounds SO REAL...it sounds like the BAND is in my room now! I found out from bose that not only did they do a lot improvements to their speaker cones but also had a lot improvements done to their equalizers too.

SundayNiagara -- Sun, 01/16/2011 - 16:02

This is getting deep!

T_Bop -- Mon, 01/17/2011 - 18:24

I remember the first time I heard the 901's - the saxes were coming out of the ceiling and the drums were on the floor - not sitting on the floor - IN the floor!!!!  
And don't get your hopes up that anyone will EVER review Bose speakers.  Consumer Reports did and got sued into the ground.  For years all they reported was bass distortion graphs...it was a joke.
It's up to us to tell the world what a joke Bose is.  Nothing but a sales pitch and tin ears in that company.

Ded Frag -- Mon, 01/17/2011 - 18:42

All true but we have to ask ourselves, considering Bose's staggering commercial success, why is it so many people are blissfully happy with Bose speaker systems (not the 901's) that dribble upper mids (can't call it treble) down from the ceiling whilst the mid-bass (can't call it bass) oozes PHHOOMF, PHhOOMF, from under the sofa (settee if you're upper class?) Can't be cost as the asking price is silly when held up against what you're getting. My theory is Bose was the first speaker company to realize they could make a fortune out of the female sex's loathing for anything visibly technological being on show in 'her lounge-room'. Frightening.

SundayNiagara -- Mon, 01/17/2011 - 20:21

Absolutely correct sir!

T_Bop -- Mon, 01/17/2011 - 20:36

Hence my comment - sales pitch and tin ears.  I love going to Bose stores and pointing out all the flaws to the salesman.  Yeah, I know, I may burn, but it's worth the heat....

HiFiSoundGuy -- Tue, 01/18/2011 - 17:43

Everybody has different taste and the 901's or any other speakers is NOT going to please everyone out there. I'm wondering if Harry Pearson of T.A.S. has heard these new and improved 901's yet. ???

SundayNiagara -- Tue, 01/18/2011 - 18:27

LMFAO!

T_Bop -- Tue, 01/18/2011 - 20:57

Okay Hi-fi Sound Guy, I'll tell you one place where I found the Bose 901 speakers fun. A friend of mine turned her attic into a room. The ceiling was pitched on both sides and a gable broke up one of the short ends. She covered the ceiling in particle board and painted it. Put a couch with no legs up there (that was hell) and her stereo system. The 901's were hung from the ceiling.
We would go up there to listen to music and play backgammon and chess and...well, you get the idea. She would put on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (I'm dating myself here) have nothing but blue lights glowing in the dark. We were enveloped in sound. For an 18 year old, it was a slice of heaven - and so was she.
That was the only time I EVER heard the 901's and DID NOT feel like throwing up after I heard them. Except for that series of experiences, the 901's would be a wonderful replacement for Ipecac.
I looked at the "new and improved" model. It looks like the "old and suckie" model. When the engineering is bad, there no sense in improving pap.
You might want to go and listen to some Wilsons, or Von Schweikerts, or something to flush those 901 memories out of your ears! It can't be good for you.
Hmmm....wonder if Bose has a Snake Oil department? If they did, they'd probably put the label on the back of the bottle.
Bose's new motto: JUST SAY NO!

SundayNiagara -- Thu, 01/20/2011 - 17:38

Ok folks, it's time to stop feeding the troll!

Ded Frag -- Thu, 01/20/2011 - 17:43

How can you be sure it's a troll? Some people who are sincere can have very defective hearing.

SundayNiagara -- Thu, 01/20/2011 - 18:22

How about we stop and see what happens?

Ded Frag -- Thu, 01/20/2011 - 19:34

On the other hand I really would like to read a serious review of these 'fabulous' new Bose 901's. I suspect it would make for hysterical reading.
Shall we ask HP to grin and bare it?

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 01/21/2011 - 20:00

THIS IS TO ALL THE "BOSE BASHERS" HERE..STAY THE HELL OFF MY THREAD !!...

T_Bop -- Fri, 01/21/2011 - 20:26

I'm trying SundayNiagara - I'm trying hard....(bites lip)

Ded Frag -- Fri, 01/21/2011 - 20:32

No thread belongs to an individual, even the person who started it. If you can't handle a variety of opinions about your particular preferences maybe you should start a Bose Lover's Forum?

Steven Stone -- Tue, 02/01/2011 - 14:31

Actually it's AVGuide.com's thread.

You only started it...

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

FlyhiG -- Sat, 01/22/2011 - 22:11

When I first read that there was new and improved 901's I thought the news was a joke. A joke because there are so many Bose bashers in the land of high end audio. I owned a pair of them when the high end audio stores sold them. They sounded great, and they only stopped touting them when they begun to be sold by discount stores. Time has moved on for me into other and I feel better speakers, but three cheers for Bose.

SundayNiagara -- Sun, 01/23/2011 - 08:32

Come let's troll, take me by the hand.....................

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 01/29/2011 - 17:01

These improved 901's are one of the most musical and least fatiguing speakers I've ever heard !... CD's sound like Analog !!

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 01/29/2011 - 17:27

Again, LMFAO!

T_Bop -- Sat, 01/29/2011 - 21:41

The piece of tongue that I was biting now lies sadly on the floor....

T_Bop -- Sat, 01/29/2011 - 21:45

Dath thucks...

Ded Frag -- Sun, 01/30/2011 - 00:03

It's no joke if Bose have managed to overcome doppler distortion in full range drivers. If they have it's a triumph over the known laws of physics.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sun, 02/06/2011 - 12:39

These new and improved 901's have many of the qualities of my friend's Quad ESL-57's BUT you can play the 901's much LOUDER !

crsecon -- Thu, 10/20/2011 - 19:33

Right, both BOSE and QUAD are 4-letter words. I like real music without harshness, wouldn't have either in my house.

tarquineous -- Mon, 01/31/2011 - 23:15

Fred, that's a half dumb comment.
All piston drivers have the doppler effect within their range. Even the $50 to $100K speakers. And you are right about it being a law of physics.
Ray Kimber is one of the few who attempted to correct this in a crossover design. I don't know how successful it  was.
As a matter of fact, planer speakers would also have the doppler effect. So, it's nothing new to this world. It explains why speakers contribute more sound distortions than other components in an audio system.

Ded Frag -- Tue, 02/01/2011 - 02:31

"Within their range" tells us more than you appear to understand. If, say, we are looking at a three way design running a woofer, mid range and tweeter, how are each of those drivers outputs going to be degraded by doppler effects from any of the others? This is why full range drivers, and yes, full range stats included, are always going to pose limitations on fidelity. The laws of physics do indeed apply but there's no law that asserts a tweeter must suffer from doppler distortion induced by a separate lower frequency drivers or visa versa.
There are on the other hand limitations inherent in splitting the frequency range amongst dedicated drivers but this is another topic about which I doubt any of the engineers at Bose have the slightest understanding.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 20:25

When you run TWO pair of these 901's in one system the speaker drivers don't work as hard as they do when running just one pair of 901's alone in a system. I'm using 4 901's and two bose equalizers in one system. I have one bose equalizer in my tape loop of my integrated amp and the other bose equalizer between my CD player and CD input. I bet not too many people has tried putting two BOSE equalizers in one system. I would like to see TAS do a review on 4 901's and TWO bose equalizers in ONE system !...

SundayNiagara -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 20:51

I am just itching with anticipation!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Thu, 02/03/2011 - 22:15

One of the improvements they did to these improved 901's was adding a whizzer to the speaker cones like the LDL 749 bose knockoffs used.

Ded Frag -- Thu, 02/03/2011 - 23:43

Excuse me if this comes across as rude but anyone who likes the sound produced by whizzer cones has defective hearing wether its' from Bose drivers or Lowther's overpriced rubbish.
Now I feel better !

soundman -- Fri, 02/04/2011 - 03:35

ONE of the biggest problems with the design is the Intermodulation Distortion produced by forcing ONE smallish driver to reproduce the entire frequency spectrum of music, via an equalizer.  Then, multiplying the problem by nine, twice.  Regarding the SUCK-cess of the company('s hype): Stereo Review had quite a large subcriber base.  Just goes to show how many deaf/gullible stereo listeners there are in the World.  Then again: who am I to say what's right in YOUR listening room? 

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 16:47

Soundman, I DO NOT hear any Intermodulation Distortion with these new and improved 901's. Like I said before they have been a lot improvements to these 901's and bose equalizers!

soundman -- Sat, 02/05/2011 - 18:21

So tell me; like what does IM distortion sound? I don't know if you can tell the differences in timbre, between a flute and a recorder, let alone whether you can aurally discern IM or THD. Some time back, McIntosh Labs was testing most of the namebrand speakers on the market yearly. The 901s consistantly had the highest of any run through their program(over 35% IM, and 20% THD). I believe in miracles, but my faith isn't strong enough to cover the Blose engineers. PS: Whizzer cone=improvement? PUH-LEEEZE!

Elliot Goldman -- Fri, 02/04/2011 - 12:12

HiFI sound guy,
Are you selling the dope you are smoking? It must be really amazing!!!!

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.