SME 20/12 with Sme V 12 Versus Sme 30/2

citrobacter -- Mon, 09/12/2011 - 16:20

As you prepare to purchase SME 20/12 with  SME V 12 with great discount . I was wondering if you have heard and perceived differences with the SME 30 / 2 to move the balance towards the latter model
thanks

paskinn -- Tue, 09/13/2011 - 00:57

I don't know who you are referring to (although great discount' sounds nice) but I  have often heard the difference between these two decks. The Model 30 has greater weight, and , connected with this, even more of a sense of rock-solid stability, also slightly more dynamic attack.. The 20-12 tends to sound a touch more 'at ease' with a slightly more relaxed and (subliminal)  sense of a freedom from a 'mechanical' sound.As best as I can tell, having used both 9inch and 12inch arms, the greater difference is caused by the length of the arm rather than the deck.
     Having said that, both are immediately and obviously 'SME' decks, with all the attributes they possess. I know most people want the model 30, possibly because it is smaller in terms of 'platform space.' and because it is the 'top' model. I use a 30-12 deck, but before then I used the standard 30. A friend uses the 20-12. For me, the vote would go to the 20-12 over the standard 30, but this is a personal choice.Certainly, I think the longer-chassis versions sound a  bit better. Crudely, if you like the 12inch arms you will like the 12inch decks. And vice versa. The 9inch versions are more 'dynamic' and more 'hi fi', the 12inch ones are smoothe and more 'relaxed'. At least that's how I hear it. Your mileage may vary!.

brian -- Thu, 10/20/2011 - 18:36

FWIW other arms can fit the SME 30/2. One of my customers is ordering a Kuzma 4Point for his, which I have diligently confirmed fits the table and in fact can use the SME arm board with some modifications.

Brian Walsh
Essential Audio  ~  Chicago area ~ 773-809-HIFI (4434)

john195 -- Sun, 10/30/2011 - 01:55

A excellent review of the Kuzma 4point in Stereophile.
click this link: http://www.stereophile.com/content/kuzma-4point-tonearm

citrobacter -- Tue, 11/01/2011 - 07:46

Hello, I ordered the SME 30 / 2 !!

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.