Shunyata's 2011 Python speaker cables and interconnects

vhiner -- Thu, 05/05/2011 - 19:05

I have the newest Shunyata speaker cables and interconnects, which were unveiled at CES 2011. I am eager to compare notes with someone else who is using them. To my ears, they have a more profound impact on my system than even the legendary CX line of power cords. They blow away my previous reference, the Harmonic Technology Magic Woofer speaker cables and and Magic II interconnects, which are mighty fine, btw.I keep asking myself, "How can cables do this?" I'd love to hear how they compare to other cables and in other systems. I am using them in a Thiel 3.7/Conrad-Johnson/ PerfectWave/ Classe system to amazing effect.

Oddeophile -- Tue, 10/30/2012 - 15:54

Funny, how can 1.8 amps be too much? I find that unusual.  Further, my friend has used his CC on his KC CX to amazing results.  Since the ZTron circuit is passive it should not pose any issues whatsoever.  I think it more of a perspective issue than anything else.  Has Caelin tried the CC?

skyyone -- Tue, 10/30/2012 - 16:00

Meant  to say by Grant and Caelin. 

skyyone -- Tue, 10/30/2012 - 16:08

I do not think it is an amperage issue. I feel it is best to follow manufacturer's advice in general. I know many do sell and recommend CC.  

Oddeophile -- Tue, 10/30/2012 - 16:35

And so said MIT about the same issue.... yet, MIT cable owners have also had superb results. I think sometimes that mfrs tend to overblow such potential damage issues, myself.  And, so the use of such should not be an issue.  I have, just for the heck of it, an email in to Audioharma for comment along with one to Shunyata to further this, just for the heck of it. 
Manufacturers routinely say don't do this, don't do that, and yet superior results occur with the use of all sorts of devices, etc.  As a proud owner of many CX KC and Anacanda AC's and a system entirely wired with ZiTron Anaconda signal/speaker cables, I find this to be of personal relevence. 
BTW - my friend that has used his C/C on his Shunyata cables has found the difference to be, well, quite amazing with no negative effects. 

grant@shunyata.com -- Thu, 11/08/2012 - 09:55

As often happens on forums when repeating or translating information, the context is incomplete or incorrect. Cable Cookers of any type can be of some benefit. We own several. Using them with power cords works fine, though we still recommend a fan, dehumidifier etc because we think those are better and require no investment.
Regarding signal cables, they absolutely work and work well in some cases. In others, especially if they are over-used, they can over-cook certain types of conductors to the degree that it can take some days playing music after their use for the cables to stabilize. We found this to be true with our older litz-wire interconnects. Too much time on the CC made them sound bright and rough--anything but litz like.
The advice I always give for using CC's (for signal cables) is to use in moderation. 24 hours, maybe, then switch to music, maybe back to the cooker for 8 hours, etc. When used in moderation I think they are a fantastic tool and invention. For power cords, use them all you want but I suggest alternating with a device that uses a motor--fans, constant running dehumidifier, humidifier etc.
I hope that clears up our POV.
Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Oddeophile -- Thu, 11/08/2012 - 10:37

Thank you, Grant! Vindication! I suppose the rumors floating around are what I always knew they were.... crap. Thank you, Grant, for again being the voice of reason, and enlightenment. Another reason Shunyata rules.

Have a great day to all.

Best,

Odd

skyyone -- Tue, 11/13/2012 - 17:34

You are a character Oddeophile. Grants last sentence in his first paragraph says, Using them with power cords are fine, though we still RECOMMEND a fan, dehumidifier ect because we think those are BETTER and require no investment. I was going to buy a CC till I got that advice. How you get off casting verbal stones is beyond me. You spent your money so you want to justify your purchase, but using Grants reply if anything  only gives you an excuse for buying one although it is BETTER to use fan ect. I do agree with one statement you said Shunyata does rule in my book too.

Oddeophile -- Tue, 11/13/2012 - 17:42

Yeah, right.... You missed my point entirely, but then again, no surprises there. There is a lot more to using the CC than just a bunch of fans all over the house... how about those pesky IC's and speaker cables... gonna use a fan to properly work 'em in too? Funny. BTW, fans, and air conditioners are fine for breaking in the cable from a perspective of pure 60 hz current flow. However, the broadened range use of a CC conditions the cable far beyond that. BTW - the two should be used in conjuction with each other.

skyyone -- Wed, 11/14/2012 - 12:23

Oddephile while you are doing all this cooking I will be enjoying music.  A couple of  questions to Grant  . Do you personally own and use a CC? If so when I talked and emailed you why did you recommend not buying a CC? Has your opinion changed from a year or more ago? Also is burn-in as big an issue with ICs as with PCs?  And as far as those pesky IC and speaker cables I listen to music almost everyday and that to me works fine as far as burn-in.

skyyone -- Wed, 11/14/2012 - 13:20

Grant , I just found the emails between us wriitten  Jan. 20 2012.  My question to you was "" Have you any experience with CCs and whether they were worth it to speed up process". Your  exact answer is " Cable cookers can help to a point but they can too easily be over-used and can over-cook a cable. We prefer to use the natural music signal and find the cookers to be of limited value."  Do you now feel they are necessary to get the best results or not? Thanks 

grant@shunyata.com -- Wed, 11/14/2012 - 20:17

Hi Guys,
 Yes, the copied words from my e-mail exactly represent our point of view. We do not currently use any of the variety of CC's out there, some of which use a digital signal, which in Caelin's view is of limited use for things like speaker cables. We have built some simple load devices for speaker cables and we use daisy-chain XLR's in a simple music system to burn in signal cables prior to sending for review. I have an early version of the CC here which no longer works. I keep meaning to do something with that but just never got around to it.
I talk to some customers that swear by the CC's contributions to burn in and I do pass that along in conversations. They can and do help, but depending on the wire-type of the cable, they can also (temporarily) scramble the sound of a cable if over-used. The current iterations of the CC may be better than what we had and if used in moderation, they can help. We may be a bit archaic, but we prefer the consitency and predictability of fans/simple motors for power, and music signal and burn in disc's like Jim Aud's Purist disc and others, for signal cables--- with music sprinkled in.
There really is no definitive truth regarding the use of CC's other than through one's direct experience using them with your cables in your system. I think the CC's can have some value, but no, we do not currently use them with our products. I am not of the mind to recommend someone run out and buy one as a necessity for burning in cables, but if they already own one, neither will I dissuade them from using them; I just add a few words of caution.
I know that is not the definitive yes/no answer but it is true to our own experience.
Best regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research

skyyone -- Thu, 11/15/2012 - 10:23

Thanks Grant for the reply. I wondered if your opinion had changed on CCs and now you recommended using them every 3 to 4 months as Oddphile strongly suggests. His undeniable proof based on his buddy's statements nearly shook me to my core belief and that all I knew now was crap. Your clarification is appreciated. 

skyyone -- Tue, 11/27/2012 - 21:36

Looking back at what I said about Shunyata and Cardas signal cables vs Transparent I realized more feedback might would be helpful to others. The Shunyata cables seemed faster than Cardas and even slightly more than Transparent. The Shunyata also has extreme highs and lows vs Cardas. If one has a slightly bright system I would favor Cardas, otherwise the Shunyata has my vote. These observation of course are based on my system alone. I like most everyone else was hoping there were some shortcuts but it seems the only valid test is in one's own familiar system. I also have been mulling over why there seemed to be so much midrange and air difference between Transparent and the other two in my set-up.  Elsewhere on this site on another tread I talk about me buying my, within reason, dream system and all the problems encountered. The biggest problem turned out to be vibration. It makes me wonder if that is where the Transparent has an edge. Both of my JL-1300 subs and both Wilson speakers are right next to speaker cable. I have read where the encasement  around the Transparent cable are designed to deal with vibration. This maybe a signifigant factor which could explain the unexpected difference. In someone else's system setup may favor the other cables. So the bad news is from,my point of view, there is no shortcut, you need to hear it in your own system and for an extened period.

vhiner -- Tue, 11/27/2012 - 22:10

Marc,
I recently added Shunyata's latest Dark Field Elevators (version2.) to all of my speaker cables and power cables. I also use the DFE mini's to separate wires. This has eliminated grain, blackened the background and brought out a bit more micro detail. You might want to try this. Worth the price in my book.. One caveat: you need to let things settle for a day or two before you critically evaluate....snakes don't like to be moved around. ;-)

skyyone -- Wed, 11/28/2012 - 12:36

Hi vhiner, Agreed, I like and have both already. A few other nice additions have been the Stein Music Harmonizers, HiFi-Tuning Supreme fuses, 3 Shunyata power outles for 3 dedicated 20amp circuts and 2 quantum q-x4s (one on Triton and one between pre and amp). The Stein improves "air" and "liveliness", the Supreme fuses showed positively noticable differences especially for the $s. I have one of the qx4 on top of Triton and you can hear immediately the loss of air around speaker especially above speakers when turned off (the sound stage collapses). But by far in my system the biggest difference maker has been the Stillpoint products especially the Ultra 5s under speakers. The ultras under each unit also were big. On another tread I discuss this in a little more depth. 

skyyone -- Wed, 11/28/2012 - 12:59

vhiner,I somehow forgot one of bigger improvements came from the qol signal completion system. It fall right behind Stillpoint product for sonic improvement. I adore it.  

vhiner -- Wed, 11/28/2012 - 20:32

Marc,

I also have Hifi Supremes throughout my system. You're the third person I've heard rave about Stillpoints underneath speakers. Guess I better start a fund...dang, they're pricey...but if the bang is big enough, I gotta try'em.

skyyone -- Thu, 11/29/2012 - 15:05

vhiner, on another thread on this site under heading "stillpoints under speakers" I tell of the hell I went though sorting out my new 90M+ system and what finally was the solution. I am a slow typist so I leave out a lot of hair-pulling sorrow that had me questioning highend and myself. 

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.