Rotel RSX 1065

default -- Sat, 12/19/2009 - 19:25

I know this is not a tech repair forum and I am bring this in for repair bur curious if anyone has any ideas....
I Have a ROTEL RSX 1065 5.1 surround receiver. It's been great but recently after playing music for about three hours at a volume of about 62 the fan kicks into hyperdrive and is really loud. The other day all the power went off. I let it cool and turned it on later, and now there is no audio whatsoever from any source.
Any ideas?

Mazzy (not verified) -- Sat, 12/19/2009 - 19:25

I Have a ROTEL RSX 1065 5.1 surround receiver. It's been great but recently after playing music for about three hours at a volume of about 62 the fan kicks into hyperdrive and is really loud. The other day all the power went off. I let it cool and turned it on later, and now there is no audio whatsoever from any source.

Any ideas?

Dennis of NYC (not verified) -- Mon, 12/21/2009 - 18:12

Recently my ROTEL RSX-1065 began to make a sound as if an internal fan has been activated. When I turn off the power I can feel heat coming from the receiver, it seems to be overheating.

The receiver has nothing above it and has sufficient air circulation and space around it. I emailed Rotel yesterday at - techsupport [at] bwgroupusa [dot] com to ask if it is typical for an older Rotel to begin to overheat.

They have not yet responded.

Dennis of NYC (not verified) -- Mon, 12/21/2009 - 18:33

You may want to call Rotel of America
54 Concord St.
North Reading, MA 01864-2699
tel: 978 664 3820

munchiehk -- Fri, 11/26/2010 - 15:27

I think I know precisely what is wrong. When I first had my unit, back in 2004, I accidentally switched the power cable which came with it for the cable for my printer. They look identical, except the Rotel cable is a little thicker. The receiver proceeded to do exactly what you described - it overheated every time I used it and a fan would kick in. I would then turn it off and allow it to cool. I was mystified as to the cause right up to the moment it died completely. Luckily it was under warranty and the dealer didn't ask any questions. I figured out later what I had done and switched the cables back. My RSX-1065 has given me fault free service ever since. Make sure you DO NOT switch cables, whatever you do or you will end up with a very expensive doorstop.

Chris Martens -- Tue, 12/22/2009 - 12:36

Several questions:
1) Did you buy the unit from a local dealer? 
2) If so, what does the dealer say (presumably the dealer either has a service department or access to one)?
3) You aren't, by any chance, trying to drive extremely low impedance speakers, are you?
In any event, the unit's behavior certainly seems to indicate a problem. Consult with a dealer or Rotel directly for best results.
Best,
Chris Martens

Chris Martens
Editor, Avguide.com/Playback/The Perfect Vision 

Morris Barber (not verified) -- Thu, 03/11/2010 - 16:54

I would like to know the pros and cons when using AVreceivers as preamps, would you use an audiophile power cord on this gear?

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.