Prospective Buyer: LG 47LH90 v. Samsung UN46B8000

default -- Sun, 09/13/2009 - 18:38

Hello All,
I'm a psuedo-newbie to the realm of displays, but I'm here to gauge the differences/pros/cons of LG's 47LH90 versus the Samsung UN36B8000 display.  I currently have a 5/6 year old Sony KDF-42 Grand WEGA that is dying due to the optical block failing (Thanks for making a nice big design flaw, Sony :P).  At any rate, these two displays are the ones that I'm torn between.

What I've heard so far from some people (not Best Buy employees, fret not) is that the LG has supposed lower black levels than that of the Samsung due to local dimming, but from what I saw walking into BB, the Samsung looked better.  See, there's my newbie talking, I'm probably wrong.  Anyway, I really like the images on both displays and my main question is if the local dimming really makes that huge a difference in teh LG than in the Samsung.  From what I've read on both product review pages on AVG, the Samsung seems to have snatched the higher rating and has more praise overall.

So, tell me, which do you think I should go with?

Jobar (not verified) -- Fri, 10/09/2009 - 01:20

I have researched HDTV's constantly for months. A couple of months ago I believed if it was not a Sony or Samsung LCD or a Panasonic Plasma I would not even consider  the HDTV. I loved the inky blacks and fast motion capabilities of the best Plasmas. I really liked their cost verse the LCD panels too. But, and a big but was the glare off even the best Plasmas. So I kept turning back to the LCD panels with their much better anit-glare screens. Most of the LCD HDTVs are much better this year than even last year as far as contrast but still look washed out to me compared to the plasmas. The exception to this were the LED backlit LCDs. The LED backlit LCDs had the inky blacks and brilliant whites that looked so great on the best plasmas. The Samsung 6000 series LED edgelit panels looked marvelous to me. However the glossy screen seemed to have  almost as much glare as many plasmas to me. I even judged the black levels better on 6000 series than the LG  LH90 series full panel local dimming LED LCD line. However, what jumped out to me was the LG LH90 series had the best matte screen I have found and defused the glare as good as any HDTV I could remember seeing. I could list lots and lots of features and specs but for the money ($1400) and the great picture in well lite and dark rooms too the 47LH90 was hands down the  best value. With it's black levels that compete with the best plasmas and the 240 HZ for fast motion I just thought it was one of the best pictures I have even seen in an LCD panel. The Samsung 6000 LCD was very very good but for my perspective the LG LH90 was the even  better and was less money too. I have owned the LG 47LH90 for about 2 weeks now and have not found anything to complain about. I thought  the Sony LED backlit LCD panels were excellent but the price was just out of line compared to either the Samsungs or LG LEDs for the marginal picture improvement.

Anders (not verified) -- Sat, 10/10/2009 - 08:51

I was wondering how the off angle viewing is on the LH90. Alot of reviews say that it is very narrow. Have you experienced this?

Anders (not verified) -- Sat, 10/10/2009 - 08:51

I was wondering how the off angle viewing is on the LH90. Alot of reviews say that it is very narrow. Have you experienced this?

Jobat (not verified) -- Thu, 10/15/2009 - 01:38

Anders,
I did notice the LG 47LH90 did not have as good of off angle viewing as the very good plasmas but I felt it did as least as good as the Samsung LEDs and LCDs. Overall I thought it did a good job of off angles viewing. I am watching it now and I moved at least 30 degrees off axis and it still looked very good to me.

LCD TV Comparison (not verified) -- Tue, 11/17/2009 - 00:29

I think Samsung puts out the best looking models for the money. If you have a bundle to spend the LEDs are they best looking picture I have seen anywhere, but with them being new technology they are a bit high.

I went with a 52 inch Samsung b550 which was all I needed and fit my budget nicely..

movies (not verified) -- Sat, 03/13/2010 - 18:18

lowest price for LG 47LH90 is $1575 after rebate and Samsung UN46B8000 is $1730. I would go with larger and cheaper LG.

fortnerkarl -- Tue, 03/22/2011 - 18:00

I like the LG 47LH90 performance and color-infused design  in a  home entertainment system. Unlike other LED HDTVs that use “edge” lighting, LG’s LH90 uses a full array of LED backlights resulting in deeper blacks, a wide color range and smooth motion for a more natural picture.
LG 47LH90  utilizes LED lighting that seperately control the level of brightness–for amazing sharpness and color detail,  well as for reduced electric consumption. For more detal information visit my site at LG47LH90.com

LG47LH90.com

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.