Oppo BDP-83 and Audio Dropouts with Star Trek (2009)

stingray4 -- Mon, 11/30/2009 - 13:26

During Star Trek  (2009), I noticed 3 audio dropouts with my Oppo BDP-83. I am using the HDMI output (Monster 1000HD HDMI cable) from the Oppo (which has the latest firmware update-9/30/09)  to my Integra DHC-99 pre/processor. I have only experienced the audio dropouts with the Star Trek Blu-ray disc (the Oppo has worked flawlessly otherwise). The dropouts last about 2 seconds and as soon as the audio returns, the front panel of the Oppo reads "Dolby Tru-HD".  I suspect  this indicates that the BDP-83 lost and reacquired the Dolby Tru-HD signal from the disc. I contacted Oppo who told me to change my HDMI cable, that the problem is not consistent among their customers, that they have not been able to duplicate the problem, and that this may not be a firmware update issue but a problem with the disc it self. During a Google search, I found that several other BDP-83 owners have also experienced this problem with the Star Trek (2009) Blu-ray disc. The audio dropouts only appear to occur when sending the signal  via HDMI and not through the analog outputs of the BDP-83 (which may partly explain why not all BDP-83 owners have experienced the dropouts). BTW, there were no audio dropouts with my Panasonic BD-55. 

Badlyva (not verified) -- Mon, 01/11/2010 - 17:34

stingray4, I experienced 3 audio dropouts watching ST 2009 with a BDP-83, but through an integra DHC80.1.  I'm kind of relieved someone else has experienced the same problem.  I thought it might be an issue with the integra?  Both the integra and the Oppo have worked flawlessly otherwise.  My dropouts were less than two seconds, seemed a shade less than one second actually.  I actually had another problem with the ST 2009 disc-- when listening in Dolby TruHD some sound during quieter passages cut in and out.  Solved by changing listening modes (to PLiix) which is fine because I like listening in 7.1, but a tad irritating nonetheless.
Curious, where were your dropouts?  I've seen the film 3 times in my room and only experienced the dropouts once.  First was during the sort of in space intro to the Enterprise as the green crew shuttled on board for the first time, second was during a shot of the Romulan ship moving across the screen, third on a long shot of the snow planet Kirk landed on.
Any luck on running down the cause of the dropouts?
Best regards,
Brad

stingray4 -- Wed, 02/24/2010 - 01:54

Hi Brad,
Sorry it took so long to respond as I just now saw your response. I don't recall where the dropouts were on ST 2009 but I experienced them at least 3 times during the film and only a second or two each time, but noticeable. It only happened with this blu-ray disc. Otherwise, the BD83 and my Integra 9.9 have worked flawlessly. I have seen other threads on the net where others with the BD83 also experienced the dropout problem with the BD83 on ST 2009. I did contact Oppo a few months ago but was told that they could not duplicate the problem. I know it is there as others have reported the dropouts. I also contacted Paramount tech support but they never returned my e-mail. Thanks, for responding as it is good to hear from someone else having the same issue. Maybe if everyone with the BD83 that had this issue contacts Oppo they will fix this problem.

Lee

stingray4 -- Wed, 02/24/2010 - 01:56

Hi Brad,
Sorry it took so long to respond as I just now saw your response. I don't recall where the dropouts were on ST 2009 but I experienced them at least 3 times during the film and only a second or two each time, but noticeable. It only happened with this blu-ray disc. Otherwise, the BD83 and my Integra 9.9 have worked flawlessly. I have seen other threads on the net where others with the BD83 also experienced the dropout problem with the BD83 on ST 2009. I did contact Oppo a few months ago but was told that they could not duplicate the problem. I know it is there as others have reported the dropouts. I also contacted Paramount tech support but they never returned my e-mail. Thanks, for responding as it is good to hear from someone else having the same issue. Maybe if everyone with the BD83 that had this issue contacts Oppo they will fix this problem.
Lee

stingray4 -- Wed, 02/24/2010 - 01:58

Hi Brad,
Lee

stingray4 -- Wed, 02/24/2010 - 02:00

Brad, Sorry it took so long to respond as I just now saw your response. I don't recall where the dropouts were on ST 2009 but I experienced them at least 3 times during the film and only a second or two each time, but noticeable. It only happened with this blu-ray disc. Otherwise, the BD83 and my Integra 9.9 have worked flawlessly. I have seen other threads on the net where others with the BD83 also experienced the dropout problem with the BD83 on ST 2009. I did contact Oppo a few months ago but was told that they could not duplicate the problem. I know it is there as others have reported the dropouts. I also contacted Paramount tech support but they never returned my e-mail. Thanks, for responding as it is good to hear from someone else having the same issue. Maybe if everyone with the BD83 that had this issue contacts Oppo they will fix this problem. Lee

Phillip R Williams (not verified) -- Sun, 02/28/2010 - 19:03

I have had multiple dropouts with this movie , play on a playstation 3 via optical cable to a sony 7.1 amp (st635 I think).
I have played multiple blu-ray titles and never had any issues, I am going to get the disk replaced and try again.

Wimp (not verified) -- Mon, 03/01/2010 - 00:40

I just watched ST 2009 with my OPPO BDP-83 connected through HDMI to a Sony 5200 receiver and did not experience any dropouts. By the way this movie is awesome!

mecolwell -- Tue, 03/09/2010 - 22:10

I watched ST-2009 again, this past week-end with my Panasonic BD-55 feeding (HDMI) an Onkyo Pro PRC-885 (Integra 9.8) with no dropouts, this, or last time, Dolby TrueHD.
Mike

VinylGuy

mecolwell -- Tue, 03/09/2010 - 22:12

I played ST-2009 this past week-end with my Panasonic BD-55, into an Onkyo Pro PRC-885 without any dropouts, as last time, too.
Mike

VinylGuy

mecolwell -- Tue, 03/09/2010 - 22:14

I  watched Star Trek 2009 last week-end, with my Panasonic BD-55, fed to an Onkyo Pro PRC-885, with no dropouts. I did not hear dropouts last viewing, either.
Mike

VinylGuy

mecolwell -- Wed, 03/10/2010 - 09:14

I re-watched "Star Trek 2009" over the week-end, and did not experience any audio dropouts with my Panasonic BD-55 and Onkyo Pro PRC-885 controller, using HDMI connections.
I did not recall any in my first view, either.
Mike

VinylGuy

Badlyva (not verified) -- Sun, 03/28/2010 - 20:31

Thanks everyone for the info-- good to know all.  Lee, I'll give a shoutout to Oppo as well and see what they say.  Otherwise the BDP83 and the 80.1 have been a fantastic combo.  Normally I'd exchange the disc, or maybe just not care and shrug it off but as Wimp said:  This movie's awesome!  Really gives my system a workout, and I'd like the disc to be trouble free.  Thanks again for the responses everyone.
Brad

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.