Oppo BDP-83 Analog Out vs. Digital Out to Onkyo TX-SR875 Internal DAC via SPDIF

default -- Thu, 09/10/2009 - 13:39

As a happy owner of an Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, I'm seeking the best possible result when playing SACD's, particularly 5.1 discs.  I have the device connected to my mid-fi Onkyo TX-SR875 AV receiver via the supplied HDMI cable and have experimented with using PCM out (converted from DTS by the Oppo) to the Onkyo vs. DTS out to the receiver (no conversion done by the Oppo, and the reciever handles DTS in).  The converted PCM signal is louder and seemingly more dynamic but also overly warm and lacking detail.  I stuck with the DTS.  My question is: Is there a definitive answer, or someone who's done critical listening, to determine if my perception is correct or not, or if using the Oppo's internal DAC and running analog out from it to my receiver would be a sonic improvement?  I listen through Martin-Logan Vantage's, so the end result isn't difficult to hear, but I'd like an opinion from some golden-ear'd expert (even if just a self-appointed one).

Steve Deutchman (not verified) -- Thu, 09/10/2009 - 13:43

I'm seeking guidance on the use of internal DAC's in my combined home theatre listening room.

Johlke (not verified) -- Tue, 09/15/2009 - 11:58

I can't comment on whether having your player or amp do the conversion, but have you tried using the analog output from your Oppo instead of HDMI?  In my experience, having the player convert the signal to PCM and then running it to the amp via good analog interconnects provides better sound quality than doing so via HDMI.  I know some people have gotten good sound from HDMI, but I think this might be worth trying in your system.

jeffreybehr -- Tue, 10/05/2010 - 18:00

I too have an Oppo '83.   I use the 6-channel analog outs to a conrad-johnson MET1 6-channel preamp.  The player, of course, decodes the DSD tracks.  'anon', I don't understand your use of 'DTS' when discussing SACDs; there are no DTS tracks on an SACD.

Does your receiver have 6-channel analog inputs?  If so, you might try those for the highest fidelity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and Classical-music lover for about 50 years, terrible competitive pistol shootist, and amateur fotografer.
"Everythin

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.