Olive 4HD at CES 2010

cmalak -- Wed, 01/13/2010 - 18:06

Looks like Olive made quite a splash with their Olive4HD and Thiel SCS4D active speakers at CES 2010. Are there any plans to evaluate the Olive 4HD both as a stand-alone music server with 24/192 Burr-Brown PCM1792A DAC and 2TB of hard drive space? Looks like an interesting offering and a compelling value when compared to offerings from Sooloos and Qsonix etc...Thx

Perry (not verified) -- Mon, 03/01/2010 - 15:38

cmalak, I bought an Olive 4HD a month ago, and it sounds really great. I am still ripping CD's, but I am down to my last 100 or so. It was pretty slow at first, but they did a software upgrade that seem to have really smoothed things out and sped things up. I too was hoping for a review, but I gave up on the waiting.

cmalak -- Tue, 03/02/2010 - 17:33

Thx Perry

Sam -- Thu, 03/04/2010 - 00:27

But Last year at a show they introduced the prototype Olive 6 that aparently would have an awsome user interface and AES/EBU digital out.  What happend to that? I thought Olive 4 would be out on its way soon. I guess you never know. 

Jim M (not verified) -- Thu, 03/04/2010 - 16:43

I have had a Olive 4HD for a couple of months now. I was very surprised at how good the DAC's are on this unit. I use this server mainly for downloading Hi-Rez files as I find ones I like. The user interface has a ways to go but they continue to work on it having just released and update.  

jimmyjames (not verified) -- Mon, 03/08/2010 - 04:32

The Olive needs to be 24/192 capable as well as having HDMI video out with a GUI.  Otherwise it is obsolete right out of the box as far as I am concerned.  My $700 HP PC I just purchased has these features and more.

Sam -- Mon, 03/08/2010 - 16:47

I agree with jimmyjames. In todays competition must do 24/192, AES/EBU digital output, user interface, and provision of easybackup. Just boxing things in pretty cases will not do for an audiophile level source. Just An opinion.

cmalak -- Mon, 03/08/2010 - 17:02

Sam/Jimmyjames...the Olive 4HD has a 24/192 DAC, has a graphical GUI accessed via a small screen on the unit, or via iPhone app, or finally via a separate screen that you can access through an HDMI connection. I am not sure what Olive product you are referring to but the Olive 4HD is capable of all these things. Plus with 2TB of hard drive space, when you add your PC/Mac source and 2TB network drive, I doubt that the price difference is that much, especially when you consider the plug-n-play / ease of use of the Olive vs. the clunkiness of a PC-based source. Jim M above has extensive comments on the Olive 4HD at Audio Aficionado that you can check out at this link: http://audioaficionado.org/digital-music-servers/2958-olive-4-hd-house.html where he also compares the Olive 4HD to his McIntosh MCD500 $6500 player and found very little difference in sonic quality between these two digital sources.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.