New Break-Through for BOSE 901 Owners !!........WOW

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 07/06/2012 - 16:17

I did a tweak to my BOSE 901's that made them sound soooo much better !!

I put two coats of Elmer's Carpenter's wood glue on all the paper cones and dust caps of my speaker drivers.

I put one coat of wood glue and let it dry good for 24 hours and then put another coat of wood glue and let it dry good for another 24 hours before playing music.

My 901's sound like different speakers now!! I'm hearing a more extended top end more realistic and a more extended bottom end and the mid-range is cleaner more 3-D more realistic....WOW!!

This AMAZING SOUND was there all these years, you just had to tweak it out of them !...

HiFiSoundGuy -- Fri, 07/13/2012 - 21:36

I had my paper cones coated with wood glue more than two months ago and they have improved even more as the the months has gone by !...

I have three pair of 901's with one pair that has been coated and two pair that has not been coated and when you compare them the treated coated pair sounds much better with far less distortion and improved smoothness, transparency, more details and extension on both ends !....

I put the wood glue on AS IS, I DID NOT do a 50 50 mix with water and glue mixed together thinning down the glue like others have done on other forums ! I just used my fingertip to put the glue around the paper cones.

I'm hopping that Jeff from Tone Audio will try this on his 901's and do an updated review on these much improved 901's with the coated paper cones.......

These modified 901's put out powerful deep bass and to our ears, sound their best turned around backwards now. So 901 owners that want to try this tweak to their 901's should keep this in mind because they just don't sound as good turned around the other way now.

SundayNiagara -- Wed, 07/18/2012 - 18:14

My Mercedes SL500 is paid off!

HiFiSoundGuy -- Thu, 07/26/2012 - 16:29

I was wondering why it was taking such a long time for my modified 901's to break-in really good and found out it was the glue on the dust caps !

I took my finger pushed around on all the dust caps until most of the stiffness was gone and the dried glue came off pretty easy then, so anyone trying this tweak DO NOT put glue on the DUST CAPS !!

My modified 901's sound their best now...
 Now back to the music.......@%@

bobbylo_007@yah... -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 00:02

HI,
I own a pair of Bose 901 Series VI speakers bought about 15 years ago.
Would anyone please clarify this wood glue tweak to improve the speakers' sound? I would appreciate it very much.
BTW, I haven't used the speakers for over 10 years as I figured they weren't. exactly audiophile quality. 
Thank you.

SundayNiagara -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 09:10

Please do not pay attention to this troll!

bobbylo_007@yah... -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 20:22

Thanks.

Amandela77 -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 07:35

Bobbylo:

Ignore this blog. Its creator is pulling our collective legs. The proposed tweak is nonsense.

Amandela77

bobbylo_007@yah... -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 20:22

Thanks.

HiFiSoundGuy -- Sun, 07/29/2012 - 16:36

Bobbylo_007@vah , The purpose of putting glue on these paper cones is to tame paper cone breakup resonance modes....most of which raise their ugly heads at elevated frequencies.

In doing the coating, they are able to extend the frequency range and avoid ugly response peaks. This moves a paper cone more towards a "metal cone" type of behavior.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0310/modifying_ff85ken.htm

harlanabrahams@... -- Fri, 08/10/2012 - 16:19

I heard about a wonderful tweak for Bose 901 owners.  Supposedly if you take a power drill with a 1/4 inch bit and drill about a dozen holes into the cabinetry of those beloved 901's, it really "opens up" the sound.  Perhaps HiFiSoundGuy will try this tweak, declare it the best ever, and finally stop all this nonsense.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.