NAD C 390DD Amp

DustyC -- Fri, 06/15/2012 - 20:05

The review of this amp really caught my attention because it offers a complete digital path from input to output. Yes, phono too! And the RIAA equalization is done in digital!  Plus, all the tone control manipulation and subwoofer crossover work is also done in digital format.
But the review covered only the sound with a digital source and an external phono stage. Bob, did you try the onboard phono stage? How about the tone controls or room EQ? 
How about a followup review?  (yes I might buy one and no I'm not a big NAD fan)

Thanks!

jasonmichaelh -- Mon, 07/30/2012 - 11:42

EQ software update is not released yet. 
I would also like to see some additional information about the claim that the 390dd has less jitter than the M2. Has this been measured, or was it reported by Nad, or is that just speculation based on listening observations?

T_Bop -- Mon, 07/30/2012 - 19:45

Dusty, I recommend that you carefully read that review again.  This amp was great with bass but he mentioned that there were other integrated amps that had more bloom in the midrange and better highs.  90% of the music is in the midrange.  Consider how important low bass is to you.  Unless your speakers go really low, you might miss the best thing about this amp.  And you are aware that all Phono gets converted to digital?  I like the design of this amp, but is amazing bass really that important?  Either way, have fun shopping.

SundayNiagara -- Tue, 07/31/2012 - 11:26

OMG, digital phono?  YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T_Bop -- Wed, 09/05/2012 - 21:16

I agree Sunday! And the other point I'd like to make is that in my area, no one carries NAD anymore. When I inquired about it, they said that NAD changed their dealer policy and they can't compete with the Online sites that now carry NAD. Sad - would be nice to be able to hear this amp in person and compare it to the M3 to see what circuit sounds better. Oh, well....

DustyC -- Thu, 09/20/2012 - 23:28

T_bop: True, 90% of the music is in the midrange, but that hasn't stopped the relentless charge to improve things at the extremes.
Sunday: Oh please! Have you heard it? Running the RIAA EQ in digital shounds to me like an interesting idea. Only one other phono box does it and it's a lot more money than the NAD. Consider it a cheap test.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.