I have an old Marantz SR5200 (no HDMI) and Paradigm (8 ohm) speakers and I use them to mostly watch blu-ray movies. I was looking to upgrade to either Marantz SR6005 / Denon AVR991 and have the following doubts:
- I hear that Marantzes are better built, but what does that mean? That they last longer? If I am paying 1000 bucks for a Marantz that will last 10 years, I may be okay paying 600 bucks for a Denon if it will last 5-6 years.
- Would there be perceptible sound quality difference between these 2 receivers
- I am looking for decent quality receivers at an affordable price tag - Denons seem to fit the bill. The Marantz model seems to be the cheapest of the high end receivers while still being pricier than Denon. I understand Onkyos and Yamahas are not comparable to these models. Any other receiver brands that I should look at?
- Is it okay to use a receiver with higher output (AVR991 has 125W X 7) than my speakers (100W) as long as I dont turn the receivers to full power. My old Marantz is rated for 90W and I always felt like the sound I was getting from the speakers was not enough.
- Typically does the volume control know of a receiver have a linear response. Assuming that, for a 125W receiver, the volume control when turned 4/5ths of full capacity will give approx 100W output.