Magnum Dynalab MD 109

Syd -- Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:24

I've had this tuner for about two and a half years and love it! If there is anyone else out there who owns this tuner please chime in. It would nice to share our experiences with one another.

Steven Stone -- Fri, 07/11/2008 - 11:31

Analog FM is a wonderful thing if you live in a region with good local stations.

You are aware that analog FM will soon be going the way of the Dodo and analog TV in the near future?

If your analog tuner doesn't have a provision for upgrading to digital it will become a very lovely, albeit useless, boat anchor.

Given the diversity of radio now available via the internet I personally don't care that analog FM is going bye-bye since I listen to more, and better radio via the internet than I ever did in the past, even when I lived in the radio-friendly mecca of Boston, MA

Of course YMMV, but I wouldn't go plunking down big bux on a Marantz 10B if I were you... :wink:

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

David (not verified) -- Fri, 02/27/2009 - 06:25

Can you really call FM analog?
It is an overly compressed,badly converted digital signal sent out as analog.
I get better sound with my 3 year old Sirius home tuner that I run through my Levinson 36S d/a.
I only listed to FM in my car,and that is only out of necessity.

Syd -- Sat, 07/12/2008 - 10:23

StevenStone1 wrote:Analog FM is a wonderful thing if you live in a region with good local stations.

You are aware that analog FM will soon be going the way of the Dodo and analog TV in the near future?

If your analog tuner doesn't have a provision for upgrading to digital it will become a very lovely, albeit useless, boat anchor.

Given the diversity of radio now available via the internet I personally don't care that analog FM is going bye-bye since I listen to more, and better radio via the internet than I ever did in the past, even when I lived in the radio-friendly mecca of Boston, MA

Of course YMMV, but I wouldn't go plunking down big bux on a Marantz 10B if I were you... :wink:

I guess I won't be getting any interesting feedback on this product from you...

allmeads -- Sun, 10/19/2008 - 08:06

Hey Syd-
I like FM analog a lot. I have an MD 102 tuner, and put the musical fidelity tube buffer in-between the tuner and line stage for improved sound.
Not sure about analog going the way of the dodo bird - it reminds me of what everyone said about vinyl when the CD format was introduced.
...and look at where the vinyl medium is these days!!

Syd -- Sun, 10/19/2008 - 08:26

That's how I feel about it as well. Im glad you are enjoying your MD 102!

Jeffgr -- Sat, 11/15/2008 - 23:51

Well, I own the FT-101A 'Etude" tuner (pedessesor of the "Elite") from the kids at Magnum-Dynalab and also bought the "Sleuth" signal processor at the same time.
It is without a doubt, the most powerful FM tuner with the most features I have ever owned and though I had to get a pot replaced two years ago, is still going strong (now 21 years old)
M-D is the definition of FM reception (though Onkyo comes close) and I also know for a fact that digital radio only is a long way off (economics and user demand).
M-D defines FM and are offering digital products as well but even they acknowledge that latency is the biggest problem with digital.
Anyone want to give that a try, listen to radio on your computer and on your FM tuner at the same time.
You have an outstanding machine, though a bit immature for my tastes, heh heh.

Jeffgr -- Sat, 11/15/2008 - 23:54

Oops wanted to mention, the Sleuth is WORTH THE PURCHASE.
It can at times double your reception capability of distant channels and really smoothes out local reception. It's also stupid proof (thankfully, heh).

Steven Stone -- Mon, 12/15/2008 - 19:56

Where I live the multipath is so bad that a Signal Sleuth is pretty much a necessity. The only tuner I've owned that doesn't need a Sleuth is the latest Sony HD tuner. It may have the build quality of a clock radio, but boy does it pull in stations cleanly.

The only disadvantage to the Sleuth is that you can't change channels using only a remote - you have to get up and adjust the Sleuth's frequency by hand since it has no remote.

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

allmeads -- Thu, 01/01/2009 - 08:32

The MD Sleuth works great.  I cannot instal an arial antenna on my building, so I put an indoor antenna up against a southernly facing window and use the sleuth to amplify the signal, when necessary.   I still think the good old fashion analog FM broadcast beats hands-down internet radio.  Insofar as the pay for listening radio?  Not interested - it's bad enough I pay a monthly fee to watch TV stations.  I just can't get my head around paying for radio too.  And HD radio?  Not bad, but the signal can really fade back and forth between HD and analog, to the point of distraction.  This is particularly true when traveling in the car (obvious).
And Steve - if you are trying to tune in a Boston station in Denver, you've got more issues than signal strength!  :)

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.