Luxman L-505u or McIntosh MA6300

paulwelch250 -- Tue, 01/24/2012 - 21:22

Which sounds better?
Your impressions of deep bass, dynamics, punch, midrange, treble and imaging
and which speakers you are driving (cables and source info also helpful).
Today I have an NAD 80 watt per channel integrated and a Jolida 801.
The Jolida out performs in all respects except perhaps deep bass but only in balance
and not tome or dynamics.
I have 3 speakers: Martin Logan ESLs, Reference 3A Episodes, and custom dual 8 inch 3 way towers.
The NAD can not drive the ESLs loud at all, it shuts down, but does fine with the others.
I want an integrated with balance, mono switch, bass and treble for reasons that I do not want
to discuss here.  Otherwise I would go with the Jolida 1000 or a Vincent.
Thanks in advance,  Paul

Mike_Dee -- Sat, 03/17/2012 - 19:22

Got to go with the Mac.

paulwelch250 -- Fri, 03/30/2012 - 12:24

I was  able to audition the Luxman, boring, little dynamics and harmonic detail, then tried the Luxman Class A version, harmonic detail and treble sweetness was available, dynamics poor.  I was not able to find the McIntosh for review.  I tried a Jolida Fusion preamp with Jolida 1000 amp only version, both modified with new better tubes, internal wiring and cap upgrades.  Those where awesome and I am buying those.  Someday I will be able to afford a nice souding preamp with some controls (balance, mono, bass treble), perhaps a McIntosh but until then at least I have grreatly upgraded the sound.  I have given up on the Martin Logan ESL speakers and decided that Usher speakers are the way to go, util I can afford them, I like my custom speakers better than the Ref 3a.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.