Issue 225

quadlover -- Sat, 08/11/2012 - 10:38

Just received issue 225...2 questions
Where is AHC's recommendations for Golden Ear Awards?  As I truly enjoy his reviews (which have been lately few and far between) I was disappointed in not seeing his.
Where was HP's recommendations?  Usually he interjects his comments and favorites in this issue.

As for what I assume will be the most controversial review in a long time, I would like to applaud Alan Traffel for his review of the Dac 8.  Not because he didn't  give it a "product of the month" glowing review, but instead his discontent of the product compared to the Dac 7 and other products on the market.  All too often, we readers complain of the "product of the month" reviews most issues have.  This harkens back to the early years when TAS wasn't afraid to post a negative review. For the record I have never heard the Dac 8 and I own Wyred 4 Sound.
A comment was recently posted about the commercialization of TAS (my synopsis of his article, not his exact words).  While I greatly mis the original artwork of those early issues, a non glowing review like the one above reminds me of the old days when early reviews were either glorious or damning.

brion -- Sun, 08/26/2012 - 09:10

HP's been missing for the last 3 issues, haven't you noticed?
 I'd been told he wasn't well. No elaboration on that: just that he wasn't well.

quadlover -- Mon, 08/27/2012 - 09:25

Yes but he goes offline more and more frequently the last few years but he usually chimes in for the Golden Ear issue.  If in fact he is suffering some type of health issue I wish him nothing but the best.
OK this may explain HP but what about AHC?

Jim Hannon -- Mon, 08/27/2012 - 11:37

HP has received a clean bill of health from his doctor and is working on his Golden Ear award selections as we speak. His selections will be included in HP's Workshop in either the next issue or the one after that. HP is also reviewing a number of other tasty products, too, which will appear shortly.

I can't comment specifically on why AHC's recommendations were not included, but I can speak to my own absence from the Golden Ear awards. I just didn't review enough products last year to be included. That may also be the case with AHC, as well as several other writers.

BTW, I love your user name (quadlover). Wish I could have snagged it.

Happy Listening,
Jim

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.