Improving the ARC 610T

Cemil Gandur -- Sat, 04/25/2009 - 15:06

A few days ago I have received Silent Running Audio (SRA) stands for my ARC 610Ts. I have to say that the improvements are not subtle at all (contrary to my expectations). I would suspect voodoo if SRA's sister company didn't have impeccable credentials doing classified work on nuclear submarines .. not sure if this is a coincidence, but the stands are called Ohio!
I have a fairly tuned revealing system with very decent cabling and a dedicated mains line, but these stands brought such positive changes to the 610Ts that I am prompted to post here. First of all, I have a pretty substantial improvement in bass extension, depth and control. The Mini 2s never lacked control but they could use help in the other bass departments. I also felt as if a layer of "grain" was removed from the mid-range / low highs. I never though of the amps as grainy before, but they have acquired an increased purity that make complex music easier to follow. There is also an increase in PRAT (for want of a better term) with all instruments coming across as tighter, better controlled and therefore the music swings or rocks more. Finally, the soundstage has increased in height and depth.
I was not expecting so much improvement on what is finally a pretty small amount compared to the cost of one of my cables, let alone the rest of the system. To put it in perspective, it has not improved the sound as much as going from, say, my VPI SSM to the SME 20/12 on the LP source front, but it has had more effect than any cabling improvement I have effected in the past couple of years.
The only problem with these stands is that they are tailor-made to the equipment that will sit on them, so if you're into swapping amps every 6 months, then this is not for you. However, if you are at your "final" amp (whatever that means for an audiophile), then I would strongly recommend that you give SRA a call - you will not get better bang for the buck.

oz (not verified) -- Sat, 04/25/2009 - 21:45

you wrote

"I was not expecting so much improvement on what is finally a pretty small amount compared to the cost of one of my cables, let alone the rest of the system. To put it in perspective, it has not improved the sound as much as going from, say, my VPI SSM to the SME 20/12 on the LP source front, but it has had more effect than any cabling improvement I have effected in the past couple of years."

I have got my 610Ts about 2.5 years ago...and when i got the SRA OHIOxl+2 i had the same effect as you did a year and a half ago..but i have to give you heads about your cabling comments... TRY the transparent OPUS interconnects  and you search for cabling will be over...its not like anything you tried...its a ticket to hifi heaven.. try it and you will be shocked...even when the cables arent burnt in...

Cemil Gandur -- Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:20

The only problem with these stands is that they are tailor-made to the equipment that will sit on them, so if you're into swapping amps every 6 months, then this is not for you
Correction: Apparently SRA will reconfigure the stands at a small or no charge (depending on the stand) if your equipment changes. Of course, there would be no change in the external dimensions, so your new equipment would need to fit on the old one and may not look as tidy.

Cemil Gandur -- Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:20

The only problem with these stands is that they are tailor-made to the equipment that will sit on them, so if you're into swapping amps every 6 months, then this is not for you
Correction: Apparently SRA will reconfigure the stands at a small or no charge (depending on the stand) if your equipment changes. Of course, there would be no change in the external dimensions, so your new equipment would need to fit on the old one and may not look as tidy.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.