Hook up PC to Cambridge Audio Azur 840C / Media Monkey

John on the Bay -- Sat, 01/01/2011 - 10:37

How hard can this be? Why don't I know? Thanks in advance if someone can tell me how to connect my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C to my PC so I can access music I have downloaded to Media Monkey. The Azur has a DAC that can be used with external sources (PC, etc). Which inputs do I use on the Azur, and which outputs on the PC? Which cable? Thanks very much!

John on the Bay

Steven Stone -- Sat, 01/01/2011 - 11:40

I would suggest trying the Apple TV. It can stream wirelessly via WIFi for video as well as audio to your DAC via its digital output.

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

alejimenezmx -- Wed, 09/21/2011 - 13:31

Hi: First, check if your PC has a sound card with a digital output. If this is the case, what I did was to buy (in Amazon) a S/PDIF cable (I had to use a mini jack converter) that is connected between the  Digital output of my sound card and  the Digital Input (1 or 2, you choose) in the Azur 840c. In the PC audio options there's an option to select "Digital output".
If you don't have this type of sound card, then you can try with a USB to S/PDIF converter. They are inexpensive and you can connect it from a usb in your PC and the Azur.
Another approach is to buy a USB DAC (like HRT Music Streamer, $150 USD) and connect this from a usb in the PC to the  RCA inputs on your preamplifier.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.