Photos courtesy of r33
Avant Garde Trio powered by Avant Grade Pwr + Kondo Pre
Crystal Cable's Arabesque/Mimetism
and the terrifying Westlake/Boulder system approx. 1.3 million setup minus Continum TT.
HK show might not mean much to the North American press, but ask the any manufacturers, this is were "deals" are made. Post show, according to the products' distributors, conspicious consumption is alive and well here.
Food for thought, here are some stats for you (Please feel free to verify them with the manufacturers and the distributors, but this is what we were told at the last day of the show)
over the past weekend:
- 2 pairs of the Westlake behemoths were sold to 2 clients from China @ 1.5mil HK per pair.
- 1 pair of Arabesque sold to China @ 800 thousand HKD and another pair reserved by an HK client.
- 1 pair of the NTT monster sold to China @ a whopping 2.2mil HK
- 1 SET of AG Trio PLUS Kondo Pre/Power sold to China price undisclosed.
- Orders for 10 pairs Wilson Sasha* placed.
- a pair of Avalon Time delivered.
- 2 pairs of Verity Lenores bought @ show.
* I was told by the Wilson rep that Sophia 2 is still the bestselling Wilson, for the past 2 months, they have shifted AT least 1 pair a week, the record being 4 pairs within 10 days in 1 shop!
For the a city of 7 million, we sure do have alot of Hi End gear. In order to maintain "resale-ibility", last year's faves are being unloaded to the 2nd hand market as we speak — in a used store 5 minutes away from me, I am already seeing 5 pairs of Watt/Puppy 6s and 7s, 3 pairs of Magico Mini 2s, 1 DartZeel NHB, Soulution 710, dCS Eldgar, a literal stacks of Jeff Rowlands, Esoteric P01/D01 and Goldmunds....(see below)
When I first moved here, I used to dispise the "Box Shifting" mentality, however, maybe this IS the way to keep the industry alive.
I kinda like the irony here, North America mass market rely on China is key supplier of electronics, whilst China's elite rely on NA for their show off systems.
Food for thought.