Hong Kong's AV Show 2009 aka Recession? What Recession?

CLC_09 -- Wed, 08/12/2009 - 05:04

Photos courtesy of r33
Avant Grade Trio
Avant Garde Trio powered by Avant Grade Pwr + Kondo Pre

Crystal Cable's Arabesque/Mimetism

NTT/Soulution combo

and the terrifying Westlake/Boulder system approx. 1.3 million setup minus Continum TT.
HK show might not mean much to the North American press, but ask the any manufacturers, this is were "deals" are made. Post show, according to the products' distributors, conspicious consumption is alive and well here.
Food for thought, here are some stats for you (Please feel free to verify them with the manufacturers and the distributors, but this is what we were told at the last day of the show)
over the past weekend:
- 2 pairs of the Westlake behemoths were sold to 2 clients from China @ 1.5mil HK per pair.
- 1 pair of Arabesque sold to China @ 800 thousand HKD and another pair reserved by an HK client.
- 1 pair of the NTT monster sold to China @ a whopping 2.2mil HK
- 1 SET of AG Trio PLUS Kondo Pre/Power sold to China price undisclosed.
- Orders for 10 pairs Wilson Sasha* placed.
- a pair of Avalon Time delivered.
- 2 pairs of Verity Lenores bought @ show.
* I was told by the Wilson rep that Sophia 2 is still the bestselling Wilson, for the past 2 months, they have shifted AT least 1 pair a week, the record being 4 pairs within 10 days in 1 shop!
For the a city of 7 million, we sure do have alot of Hi End gear. In order to maintain "resale-ibility", last year's faves are being unloaded to the 2nd hand market as we speak — in a used store 5 minutes away from me, I am already seeing 5 pairs of Watt/Puppy 6s and 7s, 3 pairs of Magico Mini 2s, 1 DartZeel NHB, Soulution 710, dCS Eldgar, a literal stacks of Jeff Rowlands, Esoteric P01/D01 and Goldmunds....(see below)

When I first moved here, I used to dispise the "Box Shifting" mentality, however, maybe this IS the way to keep the industry alive.
I kinda like the irony here, North America mass market rely on China is key supplier of electronics, whilst China's elite rely on NA for their show off systems.
Food for thought.

CLC_09 -- Wed, 08/12/2009 - 06:07

One more thing ...all transactions are Cash/Cheque/Bank Desposit only...

pingong -- Fri, 08/28/2009 - 17:30

www.avbuzz.com/event/album615

lots of pictures

Robert Harley -- Fri, 08/28/2009 - 18:16

Thanks for sharing that information and the photos from the Hong Kong show.

Francis Leung (not verified) -- Sat, 10/17/2009 - 09:28

The Avant Garde trio is the best speaker system I have ever heard. My notes taken at the session were full of accolades for its top to bottom. Though its top is a shade below that of the Dicks Dipola Driver by German Physiks also demonstrated at the show, that won't be discerned unless a comparison is made by going into the 2 individual rooms. I say that from my experience of using an array of Magneplaner strips in my system. Neither did I notice any horn sound of the midrange even though I am so accustomed to the smooth octaves coming out from the array of Strathearn strips as used in the old Infinity (I bought the early strips from Ireland and the later ones from Germany and I think HP well remembers the sound of these drivers in his old reference system).
The Westlake. I was on the side and did not occupy a proper listening position. Given this caveat, I would say the
demonstrated sound was merely so so. The buyers went for the showing off rather than the sound.
The Wilson Sasha. The drum sound from it (was it conga?) though crisp, only has the "skin" sound without depth.
The Linn room. I went into it 3 times last year and twice this year. Totally disappointing sound from such a renowned manufacturer. I did not believe what I heard and thus visited it again and again in order to give it the benefit of doubt.

Robert C. (not verified) -- Wed, 12/23/2009 - 22:33

Hi CLC
Great pics. 
Q1. What is the Name of the shop, Address, or Tel? 
Q2. Do you find the 2nd hand high end prices in Hong Kong good bargain value?  For e.g. I find that the 2nd hand car prices in HK are much cheaper  bargains as Hongkongers prefer brand new cars, latest model mobile phones, etc.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.