Has anyone heard the Nad T587 blue ray player?

default -- Sat, 03/07/2009 - 22:28

I own the Master series Nad equipment and was interested in this player, At this stage can't find much on it, it is availble at retail. Or should I wait for a Master series blue ray player?

Robert Harley -- Mon, 03/09/2009 - 18:43

NAD has not announced a Master Series Blu-ray player. I suspect that if they decide to produce a BD player in the Master Series, it will be quite some time before it is available (at least a year) because they've just launched the T587.

prepress -- Fri, 03/13/2009 - 16:21

I am looking at BD players now myself . The NAD has dedicated 2-channel outs and upsamples to 192KHz. It should sound better than many other players out there, but I've not heard it yet. And I think stereo outs have a sonic advantage over using multichannel fronts for sound; it's more music-friendly (if the reports on the Sony 5000ES are indicative, where the multichannel outs demonstrated excess bass. Great for HT perhaps, not for music).

Robert (not verified) -- Fri, 03/13/2009 - 18:21

Yes I'm interested in dedicated stereo outs. I currently run DVD live music concerts in PCM stereo through Benchmark DAC which can handle 24/192. Much better than surround. I suggest this is still possibly better than the new lossless HD sound. But still lossless for movies by all accounts is a big stepup from current DTS, DD.
No reports yet on Nad. Comment is its expensive but I'm keen to know sound quality.

mecolwell -- Sat, 03/14/2009 - 12:54

I use the Panasonic BD-55, in my combined vinyl centered music and HT system, with an older Classe' SSP-25, an excellent analog preamp first, and a great HT controller, albeit with DD and DTS "core", only.
The analog (two channel) outputs of the Panasonic sound very musical, and detailed, without any of the harshness or glare usually associated with a player at this price, or any, for that matter. It's DACS are not the last word, but musical is musical.
I could easily live with this player as a CD player, and I am comparing it to my universally acclaimed excellent Cambridge Audio 640Cv2.
As far as the high res audio on films, I am happy with what I hear off the Panasonic's coax SPDIF output, and DD and DTS "core" sound rich, detailed, and much improved over DVD's versions with higher bitrates and improved encoding algorithms. I am not ready to throw out the Classe' to get the new HD audio, which I am sure is an improvement, but it all sounds great to me, with the Classe's true high end anlaog bypass for stereo music.
Check out this Panasonic player before spending the extra cash on the NAD (I got mine before Christmas at the "street" price of $325!, from a local dealer who matched the internet price) , and  use the difference to travel (see my picture!)
Happy listening.
Mike

VinylGuy

Robert (not verified) -- Mon, 03/16/2009 - 23:11

"mecolwell" I know what you are saying and I do wonder if I should go cheap till technology develops. Blue ray is still in its infancy and where it might go is undetermined. A local kid tells me he's downloading HD movies complete with HD sound tracks onto Terrabyte drives to watch on his projector. This is the competition for Blue ray. Its probably the last format on a disc. I'm still stereo for live sound tracks on excellent old gear.

sheepherder -- Fri, 05/01/2009 - 18:36

have you seen this download? How long did the download take hours or days?  How compressed is video and audio? And how does it compare to Blu Ray

Sheepherder
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Anonymous321 (not verified) -- Fri, 05/01/2009 - 04:26

It's coming, autumn, a bit more than 2000 USD, M56.

Gregor Samsa (not verified) -- Thu, 07/09/2009 - 22:52

Anonomous 321 is absolutely right, right down to the release date and model #.  This was confirmed to me by the NAD rep at the Definitive Audio dog & pony show in Bellevue, Wa. a couple of weeks ago.  When I pointed out that this was only $500 more than the T587, he said that they were letting it go during the show for $799 with the comment "nobody's making any money off of Blu-Ray".  They also demo'ed their new digital amp, which is the bees knees.  If you want Master series quality, I would wait for the new model.  If you want to get by paying less but audio quality is still important, I'd get an Oppo.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.