Best video processor settings for playing 1080p signal on 720p projector

david011777 -- Thu, 05/14/2009 - 19:52

I just received my new Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player, which I will be using to watch Blu-ray movies and standard DVDs. I will be hooking this up to a HDTV front projector (native resolution 720p) but will be running the HDMI output from the blu-ray player through a high end video processor first (DVDO VP50) which serves as a HDMI switching source as well.
Here's my question:  I know it is ideal to output to the projector in its native resolution so that the signal doesn't have to be manipulated once it reaches the projector - but should I then output from my blu-ray player all material in 720p (including blu-ray and standard dvds) and avoid further manipulation from the video processor, or should I let the processor take on whatever incoming signal it receives and output the final signal as 720p?  I'm guessing that the latter is preferred, but would appreciate the insight from others. Thanks!

david011777 -- Thu, 05/14/2009 - 20:01

Well, I couldn't figure out how to cancel my topic question, because I think I figured out the answer - the Oppo has a source direct output resolution that is meant to be used with external video processors (therefore all processing done outside of bluray player).  That answers my question - thanks!

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.