Best Pre-Amp for a Cambridge 840W

default -- Sat, 01/02/2010 - 17:33

Hi TAS, 
I have read over and over how much you like the 840W -- others agree, but everyone also seems to be much less excited about the companion 840E pre-amp. Does it still make the best match or is there another pre-amp out there ($2k or so) that might be a better. I have a Cambridge 840C as well, so I'm wondering if I should just go for the whole 840 line or mix and match some more. Bonus points for recommending suitable balanced interconnects! Perhaps the Kimber Hero?
Thanks.

nasvictor -- Thu, 01/28/2010 - 03:03

The best pre-amp for the 840W is probably the 840A.
Yes, that's the integrated, but it has a pre-amp output, has the same power as the power amp, and share the same price as the 840E.
In order to combine a integrated with a poweramp you need to bi-amp you speakers, so make sure that it's possible with your speakers

Mr Plus -- Thu, 01/28/2010 - 17:33

The 840E is a great preamp, but the 840W is a remarkable power amp. They are a good match for one another, but you could really wig out on the preamp and the 840W would still be a long way from seeming out of place. That's why everyone's so hyped about the 840W.

There's nothing wrong with the 840E, but if you are desperate to break the pairing for $2k, you might want to experiment with something like a Prima Luna ProLogue Three or a conrad-johnson Classic. Both are 'old school' (tube, no balanced inputs or outputs, no remote) and both come in line or line+phono versions. 

Alan Sircom
Editor, Hi-Fi Plus Magazine
London, England
editor [at] hifiplus [dot] com

Tazio (not verified) -- Sat, 02/06/2010 - 11:42

Alan -- what would you think of the 840W with something like the Parasound JC2?

Mr Plus -- Sun, 02/07/2010 - 05:06

No idea, as I've not used the JC2.

Alan Sircom
Editor, Hi-Fi Plus Magazine
London, England
editor [at] hifiplus [dot] com

Amandela77 -- Wed, 06/20/2012 - 12:21

I drive my 840W with the JC-2 and love the combo. The 840W sounds ever-so-slightly dark (i.e., weighted toward the lower mids/ upper bass region), the JC-2 ever so-slightly lean and airy. Together, they split the difference, producing a sound of great purity and sweetness. Use the balanced outputs of the JC-2 for the best sound.

Amandela77

Steef -- Wed, 11/24/2010 - 17:11

Would a 840W fit to upgrade a Arcam Solo Movie? It has a pre out.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.