Ask It: Denon A-HD5000 Headphones

Tom Martin -- Sun, 07/26/2009 - 06:49

My review of the Denon A-HD5000 headphones has just been published and you can read it here. These headphones are similar to Denon's A-HD7000s in design, though I haven't heard the 7000s so I can't say whether they are a step forward, backwards or sideways.

Here is a summary section from my 5000 review:

"So, the 5000s are special because they have intelligently and musically tuned bass. But that wouldn’t be nearly enough, if the midrange weren’t equally good. But it is. The midrange on the Denons is relaxed, clear and well-balanced. In particular, Denon doesn’t roll off the upper mid-range as some other models in this class do. The result is that the 5000s sound more open and life-like than competing headphones such as the Sennheiser HD-650s.

"Overall, the treble is well-balanced with the mid-range and bass. There is, however, a mid-treble edge that occasionally grates, though only slightly. It shows up less as a shift in overall tonal balance, but rather as a tendency to make sibilants and high frequency transients a little "sharp" sounding."

Almost any review skips some items or fails to answer some specific questions. If you have additional questions about the Denon A-HD5000, I'll d my best to answer.

mikekiske (not verified) -- Thu, 01/14/2010 - 06:43

I am really happy with this A-HD5000 The mahogany is beautiful, the magnesium finish is of the highest quality, yet the phones are unbelievably light and comfortable.
The listener must be patient with these though, as with regular use it may take up to weeks to get them to settle into their true character. It's worth the price
Regards,
Mike
 Wireless Headphones For TV

Tom Martin -- Thu, 01/14/2010 - 09:53

I have to say I've had a different experience. The mid-treble edge that I described in the original review seems more and more problematic as time goes on -- meaning that it makes itself apparent on more music than I originally thought. This may, of course, depend somewhat on the type of music one listens to. Still a good headphone, and more dynamic than most, but also less linear than most at this price point.

CEO and Editorial Director, Nextscreen LLC

Austin (not verified) -- Fri, 04/09/2010 - 19:31

I am a big fan of the Denon A-HD5000. I wonder if your headphone amps are not a good match. I seem to remember you have the GCHA? I used to have that - you can do much better. That product seemed to suck the joy and life out of music. Even the headphone output of the Music Hall DAC is better, esp. with a NOS tube.

I mainly use Ray Samuel's Raptor with the Denon's - a really excellent match that I prefer more than my Edition 9 or HD650. Imaging a really vivid Spendor-based system with better bass... that's the closest analogy I can think of.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.