Amp for Sennheiser HD800

Tom Martin -- Mon, 11/30/2009 - 08:43

Sanj wrote:

Tom, can I ask your advice?  I am looking at purchasing some HD800s. I have a reclocked Sonos feeding into a Chord DAC64 which has balanced outputs.  Two questions:

1.  would you recommend the Woo audio WA22?

2.  would you recommend changing the 1/4inch jack on the HD800 for balanced XLRs?

Thank you!

Tom Martin -- Mon, 11/30/2009 - 08:49

I thought the Woo WA22 was an excellent match for the HD 800s. That said, you really should listen to the HD 800s for a while and define your issues with the headphones if you can. The WA22 enlivened the midrange of the HD 800s in what I thought was a helpful way. But if you like the smooth and relaxed midrange of the HD 800 as is, then a transistor amp like the Luxman P200 might be better. Also, you may find that your biggest problems are at high frequencies, and another amp entirely is preferred (neither the Woo nor the Luxman does much to sweeten the high end).

I haven't completed my test of balanced drive from the Woo to the Sennheisers (too many other projects). Note that this is more than a connector change. It is a complete wiring change.

CEO and Editorial Director, Nextscreen LLC

gradofan -- Tue, 09/28/2010 - 07:17

The answer is here - http://www.avguide.com/forums/best-headphone-amp - see last post.

Volkmar (not verified) -- Mon, 12/07/2009 - 19:22

Hello!
I would recogment the Violectric V200 ( ex Lake People).
It is the best best headphone preamps I´ve heared. With a Sennheiser HD 800 or a AKG K-702 > Wonderful!!!
Better than the Lemann Black Cube Linear Pro and the SPL Phonitor Modell 2730.
Look at www.violectric.de or a review on www.professional-audio.de.

Ronm (not verified) -- Fri, 01/22/2010 - 06:45

I would look into the GSP Solo.  I've had one with the HD600's/Equinox for quite a few yrs now after listening at a local show and have been very pleased with the amp.  Matched very well with the Senn's.

sob (not verified) -- Mon, 03/15/2010 - 01:45

the v200 looks great.
Is v200 v100 with usb input? 
does v200 deliver enough power to drive sennheiser hd 800 ?

Renaat Mattheus (not verified) -- Thu, 03/25/2010 - 12:34

Hi,
I use the Graham Slee Solo + PSU1 with HD800 and Stefan Audio Art Endorphin: VERY nice combination.

Rgds

Scruffy (not verified) -- Sun, 04/04/2010 - 02:07

Hi, FWIW another opinion re Sennheiser HD 800 and Headphone amp: after trying several, but limited availability of selection, happy with Rudistor RPX33 dual mono amp, atfer tried Bencmark DAC-1 Pre, MF Xcan V3 and V8, Lehmann Linear black cube.  But have not tried feed from integrated amp e.g. Cary, etc, and Very Much depends on interconnect from source, quality of source and preamp ( tubed or solid state ) even power cable, on eventual PERCEIVED psycoacoustic signal at the level of the mind. Also exotic like Woo not available to demo; sounds hit and miss, which it is, but eventually you need to commit , stop looking and enjoy listening.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.