This is my first post here. I need help!! I am getting desperate :)
I am struggling to find a match for my Marton Logan Vantage speakers (and my ears…). “My ears” is obviously the issue here :)
My current system is the following:
CD Player: Marantz SA-7S1
Pre-amp: Arcam AV9
Power amp: Primare A30.5
Cables: Chord Signature
The issue is that the sound is harsh/edgy and unrefined. I guess it is not much of a surprise giving that the amps are for AV, not stereo sound. I would like to retain the ability to have an integrated (or semi-integrated) stereo and AV system. I spend equal amount of time watching films/music dvds than listening to stereo sound.
So, I have been looking for ways to find that additional (or replacement) amp to solve my problems.
Amps I have listened to (at home, over a few days):
(1) Krell S300i - not too impressed, has power, lacks detail, has the ability to connect cpd directly and also connect AV9 and switch to “power amp” if I want to watch a movie. However, I just was not sure that it is my solution.
(2) Audio Research DSi200 (new integrated). I was fortunate to audition the first DSi200 in the UK at home. I ran it in for 48 hours (they say it needs 600 hours run in time!!). It sounds great, especially with Siltech XLR and Siltech cables - pulls you into the music, detailed, large sound stage, could maybe do with a bit more rhythm and slam. Also benefit that you can run the AV system though it (like the Krell). Almost too tame for me.
(3) Plinius Hiato – very powerfull, detailed, but rough, no finesse. Could work well with other types of speakers, not for me.
(4) GamuT DI150 - more refined than Plinius, beautifull midrange, a bit harsh at the top end (violins makes you cringe) and bass is a bit plumpy. Lots of detail, but I know it is going to tire me in the long run.
(5) Pathos Cinema X – Some nice features, connect cd player directly and also Arcam AV9 into 5 channels. Good power, reasonable mid range, sometimes a bit harsh, and tops are grainy. Female vocals is just not as clear as any of the above amplifiers. Could be my Chord cabels in this case.
Overall the ARC is the best so far, if it was just a bit more rhythmic, I guess…. My budget is ₤5000 (around $6000). Any advice to help me out of my predicament?