Alesis ML-9600 MOD

m1chael774 -- Mon, 07/14/2008 - 12:57

Hello everybody, I have a question concerning the Alesis ML-9600. From all I've read, it seems like a perfect tool to archive vinyl and retrive it from the hard drive. It should have minimal loss of fidelity at 20 or 24 bit / 88k or 96k. But the hard drive is only 40gb, can this be replaced with a much larger hard drive? Thanks Michael :roll:

Steven Stone -- Mon, 07/14/2008 - 17:41

Most hard drive recorders I've used have provisions to transfer digital tracks to your computer's hard drive from their internal hard drives.

Some like the Alesis Masterlink and Tascam have the ability to burn disks at a higher than standard bit rate for archiving off-site.

Most likely you can add a larger hard drive, but why bother? It is sure to void your warranty and also possibly increase temperatures inside.

Why not just dump (off-load) tracks to another location periodically like all the pros using this unit do?

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

Anonymous -- Thu, 11/27/2008 - 07:49

I have the Masterlink (and love it) and also wish it had a larger harddrive (I like recording hours of FM and just playing it back while I read). I did a bit of research on the net on installing a larger hard drive (and it does void the warranty), and although I do feel I have some very good computer skills (I have built numerous PC's), this was a bit overwhelming for me. Apparently the drive itself is difficult to get to but you also need to fiddle around with the BIOS (there is a BIOS limitation recognizing larg(er) drives). I'd love the next version of the Masterlink to have a firewire 800 connection, so you can just add on a few terabyte drives, hopefully with no BIOS limitations.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.