Advice for replacing AKG K702

Aaron Souppouris FB -- Fri, 08/05/2011 - 07:25

Hi there, i've got a pair of AKG K702's that I love, but I need more bass in my headphones. I've been looking through reviews but i'm now thoroughly confused as to what to go with. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a pair of 'phones that I could get without spending any extra money (i.e: sell AKG's, use money to buy new/used phones). 

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

vade@att.net -- Sat, 08/13/2011 - 08:28

How much do you expect to sell your K702s for? Probably significantly less than you paid for them. So you're going to get a cheaper headphone than you have now. Outside the bass area, are you prepared to use a phone with poorer performance?

What amp are you using with the K702s?

Vade Forrester

TD160 -- Sat, 03/09/2013 - 08:06

I have no issues with the bass on my AKG K702 open-back reference headphones, I use them with my Audioquest Dragonfly (DAC/headphone amp) on my Asus G73, as you need a powerfull headphone amp to get the best out of them.
And I have the AKG K550 closed-back reference headphones, that do give more bass and are a lot more efficient, I use them with my Motorola RAZR HD and Asus transformer.

Steven Stone -- Sat, 03/09/2013 - 14:10

Try an ifi iCAN. it has a bass boost circuit that could give you just that smidgen of extra bass you crave...also it's quite small and portable.

Steven Stone
Contributor to The Absolute Sound, EnjoytheMusic.com, Vintage Guitar Magazine, and other fine publications

Chris Martens -- Wed, 03/20/2013 - 14:36

Hi Aaron Souppouris,

Let me follow-up on two parallel threads that Vade Forrester and Steven Stone have introduced above. Here are two points to consider:

1) It may be that the AKG K702 headphones actually have quite adequate bass, but that your amplifier is not allowing them to realize their full potential. I believe this train of thought is perhaps what led Vade Forrester to ask what amp you are using. 

It could be that the solution to your quest is a new amp--not necessarily new headphones.

2) If a new amp turns out to be the best solution, one approach is to choose an amp that has notably more robust bass capabilities than the amp you now use. However, as Steven Stone suggests, another possibility is to choose an amp that provides user-adjustable bass boost controls, so that you can control the amount of bass lift to apply.

Example: The iFi Micro iCAN headphone amp that Steven mentions has a three-position bass EQ switch, where the three settings are: Flat (no boost), Moderate boost, and Substantial boost.

Example: Some other headphone amps, such as the ALO Audio Rx Mk3B, offer continuously variable bass boost controls, so you can dial in anything from no boost at all to a fairly audible amount of low-end lift -- and any setting you might desire in between.

At the end of the day, you may still decide different headphones are the answer, but I think my advice would be to first make sure you are really hearing your present 'phones at their best.

Best,

Chris Martens
Publisher, Hi-Fi+

Chris Martens
Editor, Avguide.com/Playback/The Perfect Vision 

TD160 -- Thu, 03/21/2013 - 06:50

Have a read of what 6moons thinks of the fantastic AKG702: click this link http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/akg2/702.html

Chris Martens -- Thu, 03/21/2013 - 09:15

See also Playback senior writer Tom Martin's review of the K702. 
See this link: www.avguide.com/review/akg-k702-headphones-playback-26

Chris Martens
Editor, Avguide.com/Playback/The Perfect Vision 

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1999 - 2011 NextScreen. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited.