Updated Netflix interface offers example of expanded online offerings
SAN DIEGO, April 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With its groundbreaking new televisions beginning to ship, Sony is redefining home entertainment, demonstrating its unique ability to combine technology, products, content, and services into the ultimate consumer experience.
"Consumers are getting smarter with their choices for home entertainment," noted Brian Siegel, vice president of TV product marketing for Sony Electronics' Home Division. "Sony is dedicated to delivering customers smart TVs, with unprecedented connectivity and access to online entertainment, superb picture quality, and stunning design, as only Sony can."
Shipping this month, Sony's latest BRAVIA® HDTV lineup once again redefines the television category, driving relevant, consumer-focused innovation through connectivity, picture quality, and design. Among the 37 models in its 2011 line-up, the BRAVIA LCD HDTV line includes 32 Internet-connected models and 23 with built-in 3D capabilities.
Sony continues to drive the leading edge of Connected TV with a constantly improving offering of seamless Internet entertainment options.
"Sony makes your TV smart by providing an ever-evolving platform for consumers to access online content," said Jeff Goldstein, vice president of Connect Home Products for Sony Electronics' Home Division. "When Sony expands its connected entertainment offerings, both current and legacy products are automatically updated. As an example, in April, an update for all connected Sony BRAVIA Televisions will enhance the Netflix user experience, allowing content selection and instant watching in an easy, one-step process."
In addition to BRAVIA LCD HDTV televisions, online entertainment content and services are available on a wide variety of Sony connected A/V Receivers and Blu-ray Disc Players, as well as Sony's Streaming Player with Wi-Fi®, the convenient and easy way to make most any TV "smart."
Recent and upcoming enhancements to Sony's connectivity platform include:
• Netflix: offers an upgraded experience that allows Netflix members to browse and access thousands of TV shows and movies to watch instantly streaming from Netflix using the device remote control.
• Crackle: expands its offering to include hundreds of full-length, uncut Hollywood movies and thousands of TV episodes – all available for free.
• Yahoo! Connected TV Store: features more than 100 easy-to-use TV apps to complement TV viewing, including content from CBS and Showtime, social networking with Facebook and Twitter, sports and finance from Yahoo!, CNBC and USA Today, and more.
• Moshcam: provides hundreds of full-length, live music concerts from acclaimed bands such as Jane's Addiction, Ben Harper, Gary Numan, Blondie and Public Enemy.
• Billabong: enjoy snow, surf, skate and wake action from around the globe, featuring Billabong's all-star athletes, swimwear and fashion models.
• Hulu Plus: expands its programming to include Celebrity Deathmatch, Punk'd, Reno 911! and Comedy Central Presents.
Sony's line of BRAVIA televisions and other connected home products augment Sony Internet TV, the world's first and only Internet TV powered by Google TV, introduced in the United States last October. Only Sony Internet TV seamlessly combines integrated web search functionality with diverse television programming – resulting in a simple, powerful, and easy-to-use home entertainment device.
Superb Picture Quality
The latest BRAVIA models offer uncompromising picture quality with Sony's new X-Reality® and X-Reality Pro® picture engines. These unique technologies separate incoming video signals by outline, texture, color and contrast, and add appropriate image enhancements to create the best image possible. Utilizing a vast database of ideal signal patterns developed by analyzing and indexing an enormous library of video images, the X-Reality PRO Engine compares incoming signals pixel-by-pixel with ideal scenes to restore lost detail and display sharp and vivid images.
X-Reality PRO is a two-chip digital video processor that allows for multi-frame analysis, optimizing the content displayed, particularly low-resolution content often found on the internet. Only Sony, with X-Reality Pro, can optimize the large screen viewing of low resolution content.