February 11, 2013 - Meridian has announced the introduction of its Explorer USB DAC. The Explorer is a pocket-sized high-resolution USB DAC from Meridian that delivers best-in-class sound from any computer. Featuring a range of connectivity, the Explorer can be used in a variety of applications from private headphone listening to full system playback.
Explorer replaces a computer’s sound card with a USB-powered DAC featuring Meridian’s award-winning resolution enhancement technologies, and makes any audio file, from MP3 to high resolution, sound its very best.
Plug the Explorer into a Mac, Linux or Windows computer and experience quality far beyond that of any sound card. Explorer is a fully asynchronous, USB audio class 2 DAC for the ultimate in audio quality. With premium parts such as high quality filter capacitors, 6-layer pc board, and elegant all metal enclosure, the Explorer, which is hand assembled at Meridian’s Cambridge factory, is engineered from the same DNA as Meridian’s 800 series Reference products to ensure the very best sonic performance.
From its best-in-class audio performance to the elegant presentation packaging Explorer is the perfect introduction to the Meridian Experience, allowing users to discover more from their music.
- 24bit/192kHz native conversion capability
- Separate low-jitter crystal oscillators for 44k1 and 48k based sample rates
- Asynchronous data transfer
- 6 layer PCB
- USB2 mini B socket – Plug and Play with MAC (Windows driver available)
- Direct-coupled outputs
- Variable line out – Full Analogue Volume Control for headphones or powered loudspeakers
- Headphone amp
- Fixed line out – 3.5mm connects directly to audio system
- Optical digital output – full resolution for receivers or DACS (up to 96kHz)
- Elegant metal case – durable and increases audio performance
- Lights to indicate incoming sample rate
- Soft convenient USB cable provided for ease of placement to protect computer mother board from mechanical stress
- Hand assembled at Meridian’s UK headquarters
Explorer USB DAC: US Price $299.00
All information provided is subject to change without notice. All prices quoted are recommended retail and include VAT.
Meridian is based near Cambridge, UK, and was founded in 1977 by Bob Stuart and Allen Boothroyd. With over 35 years’ history of innovation and development of uncompromised consumer home entertainment systems offering exceptional performance, this award-winning company is widely recognised as a world leader in high-quality audio and video reproduction. Meridian developed the first audiophile CD player, the world’s first consumer digital surround controller, and the MLP lossless packing system included in Blu-ray Disc. The company’s optical disc players, DSP-based loudspeakers, video projectors, and scalers are unique in the industry, maintaining a super-quality digital signal throughout the path from the studio to the home, using advanced digital signal processing to deliver both a sweet, natural sound and smooth, crystal-sharp images with true cinematic realism. In late 2008, Meridian acquired leading networked media server developer Sooloos, and today the Meridian Digital Media System offers a unique combination of superb digital audio quality with the world’s most innovative, flexible and intuitive touch screen.