According to a company press release, English hi-fi manufacturer Cambridge Audio is introducing the Azur 640R V2, the second-generation of its popular 7.1-channel A/V receiver.
The release continues by saying that Cambridge paid particular attention to sound quality and claims that the new Azur 640R is its best sounding AVR yet. The 7 x 100-watt receiver features audiophile-grade discrete amplifiers separated from the processing and input stages and incorporates a “substantial” power supply, and an oversized low flux toroidal transformer. In stereo mode, the 640R V2 outputs 120 watts per channel.
The release adds that the Azur 640R V2 employs the latest Cirrus Logic/ Crystal chipset with twin 32-bit DSPs and provides a plethora of connectivity options including HDMI 1.3b and 5.1/6.1/7.1 channel analog input connection for DVD Audio or SACD players.
The press release provides the following list of features.
• Full HDMI 1.3b reception with 3 inputs for Blu-ray/DVD players, HD satellite receivers and
• Latest generation Cirrus CS49700 chipset features twin 32-bit DSPs for compatibility with
the latest CODECs including the lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats
• Full support for analog or digital legacy formats – LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX,
DTS, DTS ES Matrix and Discrete, DTS 96/24, Neo:6, ProLogic II, ProLogic IIx, in 5.1, 6.1
or 7.1 variants
• Supports multi-channel PCM over HDMI for DVD-A/SACD and other external audio formats
• Full post-processing of 2.0, 5.1 or 6.1 material is also possible with PLIIx or DTS Neo:6 to
convert these formats for full 7.1-channel output.
• True power output of 7 x 100 watts rms per channel at 8 ohms, with all channels driven
• Analog to digital video transcoding (composite, S-video and component video to HDMI)
• Analog stereo direct mode for audiophile stereo sources (pure analog, no DSP) –
120W output x 2
• Cambridge Audio Mic Controlled Auto Set-up (CAMCAS)
• On-Screen Display (OSD) available on all video outputs
• Adjustable LipSync delay feature
• Optional bi-amping mode for front left/right with surround back left/right in 5.1 set-up
• FM/AM tuner
• X-Tract™ Forced/Convection Heat Tunnel for virtually silent performance
• Fully specified for custom install applications:
o Incognito Ready™ A-BUS™ multi-room outputs
o RS232 port, IR emitter In, Control Bus In/Out
• Navigator style Azur remote which also controls:
o iPod™ track skip and volume functions
o Cambridge Audio’s Incognito keypads
o Discrete commands for custom install use
• Clear Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD)
• Substantial aluminium front panel and ultra rigid, acoustically dampened chassis
• Available in silver or black
For more information, visit www.cambridge-audio.com.