March 15th, 2013 -- by AVguide Staff
Abyss is a division of the East Aurora, NY, USA-based firm JPS Labs and the new division's unambiguous mission is to build the finest headphone in the world--or, in Abyss' own words, "the finest instrument for musical reproduction"
Abyss's flagship model is a highly-advanced planar magnetic headphone that will be called the AB-1266, which will likely sell in the mid-$5,000-to-$6,000 range. According to Abyss, customers who have pre-ordered the AB-1266 can expect to see production units starting to ship in April of this year.
Earlier this week, Abyss released an image of the now production-ready AB-1266 and long with a list of highlighted features for the headphone, plus preliminary specifications, as shown below.
- Made in USA
- Rigid chassis consisting of left/right side frames and structural adjustable two piece headband. All components machined from solid aluminum for exceptional strength. Integrated resonance control for minimal added coloration.
- High quality anodized finish with bare aluminum accents.
- Planar magnetic transducer design utilizing our proprietary very thin, very low mass diaphragm. Amazing bandwidth and low level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs. No rear magnet structure typical of planar designs eliminates annoying reflections from behind allowing for a completely open sound. Matched driver pairs.
- Unique custom made high power neodymium magnets with optimized slot pattern.
- Low carbon steel front baffle with integrated resonance control.
- Unique breathable aluminum sides acoustically tuned to our planar diaphragm for completely open sound.
- High quality soft lambskin ear pads provide comfort and finely tuned acoustics. Unique adjustability allows for varying head shapes.
- Padded leather headband with head movement isolation, Abyss embroidered logo.
- Dual balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) XLR cable set and 1/4" (3.5 mm) cable Y-adaptor custom made by JPS Labs for Abyss. Internal lead wires also by JPS Labs.
- Heavy leather man-bag-style carry case with extra room for a portable amp/DAC for a completely portable high resolution playback system.
- Nicely hand-crafted two-tone felt lined wooden box touting the Abyss Headphones logo secures all of the above.
- Heavy aluminum headphone stand laser engraved with the Abyss logo for easy storage and always ready to play.
- All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability.
- Frequency Respones: 5 Hz to 28 kHz
- Impedance: 46 ohms nominal (non-reactive)
- Sensitivity: 85 dB
- Distortion: Less than 1%; Less than 0.2% through ears most sensitive range
- Weight: 660 grams (without cable)
Click here for more information on the design of the AB-1266.
Abyss Headphones designs and builds the highest quality headphones available. Our extensive research and development over many years concentrates within a very narrow field of material science and energy propagation whereby analog sound is presented to the ears and brain as a very high resolution wave nearly void of any distortions. Abyss Headphones allow for a very high level of enjoyment by allowing you to hear the life essence of the original recording or source.